Menu

Speech therapy for an older child: do I have recourse here?

I am so mad. I have been cleaning out a cupboard with old cassette tapes in it, and listened to the unmarked ones to be sure I didn't donate anything sentimental (or incriminating!). One of the tapes was my son talking with his dad when he was six, pretending he was an astronaut. His diction and enunciation are perfect.

My son is now just shy of his 18th birthday and has a diagnosed speech issue, a problem with the /s/ sound. We took him for an evaluation about a year ago, and it was a nightmare, even getting him in. "Why did you wait so long to address this? Your insurance will cover the evaluation, but if the child is over the age of 7, you will not get the therapy covered." I explained that I was pretty darned sure he didn't have a problem before he was 7. Now I know I was right.

I am dead certain this has to do with all the orthodontic appliances he had in his mouth for so many years (the palate expander being right up there with foot binding, in my personal list of great ideas).

How would I find out if orthodontia is connected with speech issues developed later in childhood? If I could get written documentation about his orthodontia being medically necessary, and the probable cause of his speech issues, could I contest the insurance policy about not covering the speech therapy?

I am upset about this because my son is a vocalist, and is applying to music conservatories and colleges with strong music programs. I thought his voice lessons would help with this issue, but he does not seem to be making any progress at all in that area. This will really cripple him later if it is not addressed. And I'm beating myself up about not dealing with it sooner. But hearing his little voice! His sweet unchanged, perfectly enunciated words! That would be enough on its own to make a mommy feel tender, but to know that he did not have this problem then really kills me.

Any experience with this? Do I have any recourse? What should be my first step, on Monday, when I've calmed down? Talk to the orthodontist?

Thanks, all.

Edited by Nicole M

:lurk5:

I don't have any answers for you. My dd is 9 and has developed a stutter over the last few years. So now it's weird that she's an older kid who has not yet been seen by a speech therapist. But we keep thinking that if we give it time, it'll get better. I am assuming you would tell me to get her in and get her evaluated pronto!

I hope you get some answers. I assume you have googled about orthodontia causing speech problems?

:grouphug:

:lurk5:

I don't have any answers for you. My dd is 9 and has developed a stutter over the last few years. So now it's weird that she's an older kid who has not yet been seen by a speech therapist. But we keep thinking that if we give it time, it'll get better. I am assuming you would tell me to get her in and get her evaluated pronto!

I hope you get some answers. I assume you have googled about orthodontia causing speech problems?

:grouphug:

I think of stuttering as being in a slightly different category than mechanical (?) speech problems, but now that I think about it, I don't know why I thought that. Yes, I guess I would say have her evaluated. Or talk to your pediatrician.

And yes, I'm googling right now, but so far have only been able to find articles that discuss orthodontia as the solution to speech issues. Honestly, I am a terrible googler. I can never find stuff that other people seem to be able to whip out! But I will keep trying.

Boy! It really rattled me, hearing that sweet little voice. It's hard because it's his last year at home, and everything feels like our "last" thing with him. And I also feel like I'm running out of time. It's an awful feeling.

Based on one tape recording I don't think you can prove anything.

Over the course of 18 years no one ever mentioned that he had any kind of a speech problem?

We only really noticed it when the braces came off. We couldn't understand him during the treatment, but thought that was normal. No one has mentioned it. When he was in school, through 5th grade, he was not singled out for therapy, because, as I say, he could speak just fine. The end of 5th grade was when the palate expander went in.

Gee, my 11 year old son just started speech therapy and our insurance is covering it. He has always had a problem and we've asked about getting it addressed multiple times over the years. We've always been told to wait and do other things (in spite of the fact that we said we were already doing those things and had been for a long time). Then they thought his expander was causing the problem and we were told to wait until that was out, etc. Same problem is still there.

Can you take that tape in and play it for the speech people to show them there was no problem earlier on? Perhaps that would help in documenting how this came about....

Based on one tape recording I don't think you can prove anything.

Over the course of 18 years no one ever mentioned that he had any kind of a speech problem?

I guess I wasn't thinking that the cassette tape would prove anything to anyone else. It only proved to me that my memory was correct. And it does, in fact, provide incontrovertible proof that he did not have this issue at 6.

I will look into adult speech therapy and see what is available.

Edited by Nicole M

Gee, my 11 year old son just started speech therapy and our insurance is covering it. He has always had a problem and we've asked about getting it addressed multiple times over the years. We've always been told to wait and do other things (in spite of the fact that we said we were already doing those things and had been for a long time). Then they thought his expander was causing the problem and we were told to wait until that was out, etc. Same problem is still there.

Can you take that tape in and play it for the speech people to show them there was no problem earlier on? Perhaps that would help in documenting how this came about....

Thank you. I will make some calls and see what I discover. Our insurance stinks.

Nicole, how long has the orthodontia been out of his mouth and how long did he have it in? Have you had his hearing checked? I'm thinking maybe a tympanogram? He may not have any ear pain and just like his music a little louder than you would like it to be and he could have eustachian-tube dysfuntion. You've probably walked through the checklist already, but it's a thought.

Edited by swimmermom3
addition

Nicole, how long has the orthodontia been out of his mouth and how long did he have it in? Have you had his hearing checked? I'm thinking maybe a tympanogram? He may not have any ear pain and just like his music a little louder than you would like it to be and he could have eustachian-tube dysfuntion. You've probably walked through the checklist already, but it's a thought.

Good thinking! The orthodontia has been out for several months, and he had various pieces of equipment in there for about 5 years. (That kid was a mess!)

He's had his ears checked a kazillion times. Lots of sinus issues and hearing problems that have been resolved in the last two years or so. I thought perhaps that the speech issue had to do with habits being formed both during the orthodontia and while not being able to hear well.

The bottom line is that he does have a minor problem that is only an issue, I think, because of his interest in pursuing a choral music degree and possible career. There have to be folks out there who have dealt with this as adults. I just have to find a way to get it fixed without breaking the budget. And it is exasperating to be told that your child has a problem but that the insurance won't pay. Boy. That bites.

And gosh! I was only trying to clean the school room! Little did I know I would be blindsided by that tape!

The bright side is that he has a killer smile. People stop him to tell him how beautiful his teeth are. (Insert wry smile here.)

Gee, my 11 year old son just started speech therapy and our insurance is covering it.

My 11 year old son also just started speech therapy and our insurance is also paying for it.

He was not diagnosed with his slight stuttering problem until recently so apparantly the age at diagnosis was not an issue with our insurance company which is BCBS by the way.