Menu

Is Breaker Morant okay for kids to see?

One of their defenses was that a defendant was visiting a married woman at the time of the crime. The most suggestive comment was "no one misses a slice off a cut loaf". However, the accent is so thick and they speak so quickly, I'm not sure a 10 year old would enjoy it. I have lived and traveled in the British Empire and I had trouble understanding the diction.

It's rated PG - about a criminal trial during the Boer War, if that rings any bells.

If I remember correctly it is about a trial for war crimes committed during the Boer War. I think that the accused were on trial for executing prisoners. In the end, at least some of the accused are shot.

I don't remember it being graphic in a bloody sense. It does deal with some adult topics. It is a standard film for leadership and law courses in various military programs. It is very good from that standpoint. It may not enhance your understanding of the Boer War much.

I would consider showing my kids (8 and 10), but they have also seen Zulu Dawn and Henry V. I would probably be more concerned with their being bored by a lot of talk than disturbed by the conduct of war shown.