Menu

Multiples hype...tired of it! (rant)

Just got on Craigslist and saw a "quints" set for sale complete w/5 babies, 3 babysitters, 5 highchairs, 5 cribs, etc. I really have a hard time w/the reality shows highlighting families with multiples (not natural multiples, either) but this bugs me even more. Why introduce to young children having FIVE babies at once as "play"? I can almost understand twins (seems every baby doll/doll set is a twin set lately; TV shows aren't much better) but quintuplets?! We've been in the world of REs and fertility issues and have heard the doctors rant against high-order multiples (some even view twins as not good) yet they are up against media hype geared even toward the youngest members of society. This, obviously, is not true of all REs but the ones we've worked with have their heads on straight.

OK, rant over. I'd like to buy the stupid quints set and throw it in the trash.

You know I have been know to indulge my kids in things that made no sense to me, for for some reason, really, really, made sense to them. I have spent hours searching for a particular toy, intended for a special birthday or Christmas present. One year she asked for a doll that had brushable hair, with a horse.....with a Horse? I just about fell over when I stumbled across it at a toy, store, I figure she either saw it and got the idea or saw a commercial but she swears she didn't and I didn't ever see it before that day.

As far as the babies go, I would guess it was on purpose, especially having an even #5 of almost everything, but we do have triplet babies, only because it is the doll that Costco sold the year my dd was 4yo. And what does almost every 4yo girl get for Christmas.... well she got the same doll from 3 different people.

I do agree that TV sensationalism is likely making things worse, but kids (and adults) have always been fascinated with multiple births. I know a lot of my friends pretended to have a 'twin' imaginary friend when we were little.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I remember owning the Tyco Quints playsets as a kid! They were seriously the only dolls I ever remember playing with because I hated dolls. For some reason, having five of them made them more fun. I had names for all of them. Wow... nostalgia... totally not helpful to your rant and I agree that making large, large sets of multiples big news isn't necessarily a good thing, but thanks for the memory!