Menu

Can someone help me with a childproofing question?

We have lever door handles on our front door. My 2 yo dd is able to get out of the house now. I've kept the deadbolt locked but this morning my 4 yo dd opened the door and then didn't lock the deadbolt. So a little bit later 2 yo went outside. I bought one of those door latches with the bar that flips over (like a hotel room has) but when I got home, I realized that with the molding around the door I can't install it. I want to put a latch up high so my 4 yo can't reach it. I've thought about putting a big piece of furniture in front of the door but I guess that wouldn't be practical. :) Any other ideas?

**Walmart was out of stock of the chain latches. I just saw a picture of one and that is in two pieces. That might work. I've heard the lever childproof locks don't work that well.

We have lever door handles on our front door. My 2 yo dd is able to get out of the house now. I've kept the deadbolt locked but this morning my 4 yo dd opened the door and then didn't lock the deadbolt. So a little bit later 2 yo went outside. I bought one of those door latches with the bar that flips over (like a hotel room has) but when I got home, I realized that with the molding around the door I can't install it. I want to put a latch up high so my 4 yo can't reach it. I've thought about putting a big piece of furniture in front of the door but I guess that wouldn't be practical. :) Any other ideas?

**Walmart was out of stock of the chain latches. I just saw a picture of one and that is in two pieces. That might work. I've heard the lever childproof locks don't work that well.

We use a simple hook and eye latch on our pantry and front door to keep our 2yo out.