Menu

Getting Started with Bob Jones Math

mrsmicah

Hi there,

We are just getting started with Bob Jones Math 1 (3rd ed)... I have never used it before. We used Saxon before, but it's not for us at this point:001_smile:.

Anyway I have 2 children that will be doing this together. I ordered two worktexts but I was just wondering about the Reviews book... I only bought one of those forgetting that I might need two! Do you really use the Reviews?

Thank you in advance!

Shannon

Unless you have a child that is really struggling in math, you most likely won't need the reviews book. This workbook is basically another workbook set up just like the base workbook but it is in black & white and just has more problems for the child to work through - some kids need a lot of repetition and some do not. Also, the base worktext has a small review section on each worksheet on the back that will review earlier taught concepts. I've never used my CDs but I do believe there are extra worktext pages there that you could print out if needed.

I've used BJUP Math for 1st-6th grades and have never found need for the review books. Each lesson in the Teacher Manual gives a quick concept and skill review to be done. These are often not on the student sheet; we usually do them on dry erase board prior to the main lesson. I have found it to be adequate review.

Louise

There are three review books: one for kids who are behind (Stretch Your Mind, I think), one for kids who are right on track (Spring into Action, I think), and one for kids who are advanced (Spread Your Wings, I think). If your kid is behind or advanced, you might assign him the corresponding review book page instead of the workbook page. Otherwise, the review books are just more practice.

They follow the content of the lesson. In other words, the Stretch Your Mind page for Lesson 31 will have problems from the same content as the Lesson 31 lesson. The advanced and behind books do not have a lesson for every single lesson. The right-on-track book does (165 lessons).