Menu

Researching Tapestry of Grace

Tracy

I have almost a year to research curricula before starting 1st grade with dd next year. I am very interested in Tapestry of Grace for a multitude of reasons and wonder if you TOG users (or even former users) can help me make an assessment. I personally love the Socratic method and am very comfortable with it. I have always been a supporter of an integrated approach. I like the varying levels for dd that is more gifted in some areas than others. And I really want a curriculum that is Bible-based rather than secular. If I were to design a curriculum for myself, this would be it. But it is hard to assess with only three weeks of free samples (as much as that is!).

The most difficult part to assess is the religion aspect. I know that it is a Protestant curriculum. However, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS, Mormon), and I know that the LDS Church is not always treated very nicely in Protestant materials. Someone did make me aware of a passage of one text that had some inaccuracies and a huge amount of bias. That alone doesn't bother me, because my children have to learn to deal with that. But I want my children to learn correct history as much as possible and also to treat other religions with respect and to work together with them. So this leads me to the following questions (1) Are these inaccuracies indicative of other inaccuracies throughout the curriculum? (2) Is this bias against the LDS Church indicative of how other churches are treated generally? Can you make me aware of other instances where any church is not treated with respect?

I am also interested in your personal experiences with TOG. I have received reports that it was too much material, library materials were difficult to get, it is difficult to prepare for multiple children (younger ds1 would be starting ancients with dd in 4 years). Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Thanks, Shari. I did do that, but there were just so many, and most of them were either stating that they used it without any more info, or they were asking questions about how to implement it. After wading through dozens of posts, I didn't find anything that addressed my specific questions or offered any kind of critique. So I thought posting my questions would be more expedient. I am new to this forum. Was that improper?

I have almost a year to research curricula before starting 1st grade with dd next year. I am very interested in Tapestry of Grace for a multitude of reasons and wonder if you TOG users (or even former users) can help me make an assessment. I personally love the Socratic method and am very comfortable with it. I have always been a supporter of an integrated approach. I like the varying levels for dd that is more gifted in some areas than others. And I really want a curriculum that is Bible-based rather than secular. If I were to design a curriculum for myself, this would be it. But it is hard to assess with only three weeks of free samples (as much as that is!).

The most difficult part to assess is the religion aspect. I know that it is a Protestant curriculum. However, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS, Mormon), and I know that the LDS Church is not always treated very nicely in Protestant materials. Someone did make me aware of a passage of one text that had some inaccuracies and a huge amount of bias. That alone doesn't bother me, because my children have to learn to deal with that. But I want my children to learn correct history as much as possible and also to treat other religions with respect and to work together with them. So this leads me to the following questions (1) Are these inaccuracies indicative of other inaccuracies throughout the curriculum? (2) Is this bias against the LDS Church indicative of how other churches are treated generally? Can you make me aware of other instances where any church is not treated with respect?

I am also interested in your personal experiences with TOG. I have received reports that it was too much material, library materials were difficult to get, it is difficult to prepare for multiple children (younger ds1 would be starting ancients with dd in 4 years). Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

From what I have seen LDS isn't covered much. Only a little bit in year 3, and I found it to have both good an bad. It did point out how they were critical to the California branch of the wagon train west (Salt Lake), but there was some bias in the Teacher Notes things said in present tense as if they were a current problem instead of past. I think the bigger issue would be is there Bias in the books they use as their "main" resources, or are do you have text you could substitute for that time period? I don't read the teacher notes all the time, so it is possible it is mentioned more.

The other problem I think you might have is the difference in how Christ and eternity is viewed. It might get grating over time to read the Protestant point of view over and over again. Though it probably would be less of an issue for your kids, as unless the books is obviously Protestant, which will be a lot of the worldview books. So many of the books are secular it wouldn't be a problem in the history seciton. In the teacher notes however it will does contrasts with philosophy using scripture, or with character points in a lit book, so there is a lot more potential for things that you don't agree with to be stated that you have to read through as the teacher. There is quite a bit we agree on, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I had a fried who was Jewish make it through year 2, but she didn't continue because it was just exhausting wading through the material she didn't agree with. Her kids didn't know the difference.

Heather