Menu

Help! Rod & Staff vs. MCP for 2nd grade, math reluctant ds?

smilesonly

Hi-

I am trying to decide on a math curriculum for our young 8yo ds in 2nd grade. He was hsed for Pre and Kinder, and we tried using Singapore and MUS-which he disliked. He went to ps for 1st grade, where they used Houghton Mifflin-and hates math. We are trying to decide if we should bring him home to hs again.

He has a problem retaining math facts, and is near tears when faced with a word problem that isn't super easy. Putting a simple graph in front of him would put him over the edge. He dislikes babyish graphics(or really any graphics) and refuses to use manipulatives. He has never been a game child-whether it's computer or other. He is easily frustrated, shows low confidence in all things math, and refers to himself as stupid when it comes to math. This just isn't right! He is a very smart child-strong reader, with strong language skills, and is highly creative. He is far-sighted and wears glasses-practically can't see without them.

I am confused about which math program to use. I am not into the latest greatist, nor am I interested in spending high dollar math at this age.

A hs consultant suggested Kumon, Developmental Math, and Modern Curriculum Press. A fellow hser suggested Rod & Staff. I am so confused!

Can someone offer some advice, share experiences, or just help me brainstorm?

Thank you!!

:confused:

I have done my fair share of jumping around, my poor DD. but have settled for Modern Curriculum Press. I will be using it with my son next year. For help on remember facts, I did flash cards, timed tests (she loved them) and just math games with cards, dice and dominos. I'd go with MCP because you can write in the student book.

I have done my fair share of jumping around, my poor DD. but have settled for Modern Curriculum Press. I will be using it with my son next year. For help on remember facts, I did flash cards, timed tests (she loved them) and just math games with cards, dice and dominos. I'd go with MCP because you can write in the student book.

Hi-

Thank you for replying!:)

Okay-so you like MCP, and supplement. If I found a sports-themed math facts game-*maybe* ds would do it. Am I understanding you correctly when you say to go with MDC because he can write in the book? If so, Rod & Staff has workbook style up *to* 3rd grade-*then* dc have to copy/write on their own paper. I really like R & S for grammar, but am so afraid of the drill and kill I've heard of with their Math curriculum.

Do you mind sharing what other maths you used? Does your dd sound at all like my ds?

Anyone else??:D

Oh! I meant to add, that ds is a spelling whiz, so his memory in general isn't the problem.

They're the two I was looking at for my math reluctant 9yo. We (almost) finished Gamma and I am placing him about half-way through R & S Math 3. I took a que from a few other moms and I am going to let ds write in the text. In fact, I may even cut the binding at their suggestion.

I chose R & S over MCP simply because my ds needs more daily review and I like what R & S provides. That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with either. They are both solid programs that have been around for a long time.

My 2 cents, :)

You are in many ways describing my 8 yo, 2nd grade son! Singapore was a huge nightmare: tears everyday. MUS was completely foreign to him; he loathes manipulatives. His strenghts are in language and drawing and he loves to read; math and numbers, not so much.

We did R&S 1 about 2 years ago (he was 6) and he liked it to start with but it really, really bogged him down after a while. That's when we tried Singapore, MUS, and so on. We did MCP for kindergarten, btw, and he liked it just fine but it wasn't enough practice really for him. Just not enough cementing of what he'd already learned.

We're using Saxon and have LOVED it. I know Singapore is the popular math program on this board lately but Saxon was suggested in WTM and we finally tried it. What a breath of fresh air! I had avoided it because people said it bored their kids. Maybe it will get more so at the higher levels but right now the variety is awesome and we're not presented with a page full of the same kind of problem over and over again.

My son actually says he's "good at math" now. Doesn't love it but he doesn't hate it either. He loves that there is a variety of problems on each page. No silly graphics. No distracting colors. Skills are taught in steps, he masters them, and is able to move on to the next step with confidence.

I am so, so glad that I went with SWB's advice on math! It's been such a wonderful program. The further we go the happier I am with it. We went back and did all of Saxon 1 and are 2/3rds of the way done with Saxon 2.

We love R&S English btw so I had considered a return to R&S Math but it just wasn't the right fit for how he learns and Saxon has been wonderful. My younger son loves numbers and math and even so I plan to use Saxon as our main program.

They're the two I was looking at for my math reluctant 9yo. We (almost) finished Gamma and I am placing him about half-way through R & S Math 3. I took a que from a few other moms and I am going to let ds write in the text. In fact, I may even cut the binding at their suggestion.

I chose R & S over MCP simply because my ds needs more daily review and I like what R & S provides. That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with either. They are both solid programs that have been around for a long time.

My 2 cents, :)

Thanks, Angela! :)

I appreciate the advice that I can't go wrong with these!!

If I go with R & S, I,too, thought I would just let him write in the book, or take out the binding.:D

You are in many ways describing my 8 yo, 2nd grade son! Singapore was a huge nightmare: tears everyday. MUS was completely foreign to him; he loathes manipulatives. His strenghts are in language and drawing and he loves to read; math and numbers, not so much.

We did R&S 1 about 2 years ago (he was 6) and he liked it to start with but it really, really bogged him down after a while. That's when we tried Singapore, MUS, and so on. We did MCP for kindergarten, btw, and he liked it just fine but it wasn't enough practice really for him. Just not enough cementing of what he'd already learned.

We're using Saxon and have LOVED it. I know Singapore is the popular math program on this board lately but Saxon was suggested in WTM and we finally tried it. What a breath of fresh air! I had avoided it because people said it bored their kids. Maybe it will get more so at the higher levels but right now the variety is awesome and we're not presented with a page full of the same kind of problem over and over again.

My son actually says he's "good at math" now. Doesn't love it but he doesn't hate it either. He loves that there is a variety of problems on each page. No silly graphics. No distracting colors. Skills are taught in steps, he masters them, and is able to move on to the next step with confidence.

I am so, so glad that I went with SWB's advice on math! It's been such a wonderful program. The further we go the happier I am with it. We went back and did all of Saxon 1 and are 2/3rds of the way done with Saxon 2.

We love R&S English btw so I had considered a return to R&S Math but it just wasn't the right fit for how he learns and Saxon has been wonderful. My younger son loves numbers and math and even so I plan to use Saxon as our main program.

Hi-

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Funny how I've managed to avoid the #1 choice for hsing math!:lol: I have considered it many times, actually!

So, let me ask you this...do you use the manipulatives that come with the early Saxon? I ask, as this is why I haven't really considered it-all that I've read describes a curriculum that is heavy on "a hands on approach" in the early grades, and this would turn my ds away.

Please! Do tell! :D

Hi-

I am trying to decide on a math curriculum for our young 8yo ds in 2nd grade. He was hsed for Pre and Kinder, and we tried using Singapore and MUS-which he disliked. He went to ps for 1st grade, where they used Houghton Mifflin-and hates math. We are trying to decide if we should bring him home to hs again.

He has a problem retaining math facts, and is near tears when faced with a word problem that isn't super easy. Putting a simple graph in front of him would put him over the edge. He dislikes babyish graphics(or really any graphics) and refuses to use manipulatives. He has never been a game child-whether it's computer or other. He is easily frustrated, shows low confidence in all things math, and refers to himself as stupid when it comes to math. This just isn't right! He is a very smart child-strong reader, with strong language skills, and is highly creative. He is far-sighted and wears glasses-practically can't see without them.

I am confused about which math program to use. I am not into the latest greatist, nor am I interested in spending high dollar math at this age.

A hs consultant suggested Kumon, Developmental Math, and Modern Curriculum Press. A fellow hser suggested Rod & Staff. I am so confused!

Can someone offer some advice, share experiences, or just help me brainstorm?

Thank you!!

:confused:

My dd1 is doing R&S math 2 this year.....she does fine as long as she doesn't have to do the "whole page". So I have her do 1/2 the page and if she gets them right, we are done with that page until tomorrow. The next day she does the other half. We don't do the timed drills (she cries) like they tell you to.....I time her without knowing it and tell her she is just practicing....she will have enough practice by the end of the year to speed up! She likes the posters that R&S has but not the MUS manipulatives. She also likes the fact that she is not doing math for a lengthy time......

Hope this helps....Good luck in your decision!

I like MCP, and you can't go wrong with it, but I like R&S better. Cute little worksheets, warm-fuzzy "class time," clever blackline masters, all of which gently build a child's mastery of basic arithmetic, no supplementing necessary.

Hi Ellie,

I love the description you give of R & S! However, I am a wee bit leary, as I wonder if once my "all boy" ds sees the "cute" worksheets, he would run in the opposite direction. :glare: I suppose worse things could happen, right?:lol:

I do keep coming back to this, as it seems so solid-and from what I understand, I wouldn't need to supplement. I just *love* how teacher friendly R& S is-even though it is created for a classroom, it is crystal clear when it comes to explanations. (At least that's my experience with the English.)

Thanks for sharing!

My dd1 is doing R&S math 2 this year.....she does fine as long as she doesn't have to do the "whole page". So I have her do 1/2 the page and if she gets them right, we are done with that page until tomorrow. The next day she does the other half. We don't do the timed drills (she cries) like they tell you to.....I time her without knowing it and tell her she is just practicing....she will have enough practice by the end of the year to speed up! She likes the posters that R&S has but not the MUS manipulatives. She also likes the fact that she is not doing math for a lengthy time......

Hope this helps....Good luck in your decision!

Hi-

Wow! Thank you!

I suppose doing half the page would take the drill and kill aspect out, huh? It's interesting that your dd likes the posters, but doesn't care for manipulatives. I'll have to think abou this! You know, I don't think my ds would take to timed drills, either. I can just hear him now...:001_huh:

More food for thought!

Your son sounds just like my youngest! He hates math! He is creative and bright and loves reading and learning new languages but teaching him math is about as fun as having a root canal. He is now in fifth grade but I started homeschooling him in 2nd. I wanted to avoid using Saxon in the lower grades so while my older two started on Saxon right away I started my ds and his sister on MCP. I did use the teacher manuals for the MCP and I felt they were the only good thing about the program. The workbooks themselves did not work for us at all! Even my dd really struggled and she is very competent at math.

After that I moved my dd into 5/4 Saxon and decided to try MCP again with my ds relying much more on the TM and doing minimal wb work. This did work in getting him caught up in learning the various math concepts but he was way behind in his math facts. I heard that R&S was good at math facts so I ordered R&S 4 and did it with him last year (I did let him write in the book). It didn't help much with the math facts but it was very helpful with teaching him how to solve word problems. He went from looking at word problems like they were written in gobblygook to solving them in seconds with very little trouble.

I do really like R&S's approach to word problems. But he hated, hated, hated, the way they taught math facts. He finds drill to be pure torture and him and I were both ready to burn the book at times. It was also a very long process (book) and we were unable to get it done in a year. He has about another 4 weeks left to it and I am making him finish it. We are planning on using LoF as soon as we get done with it so I am using that as a carrot. I think LoF will work great for him because he is now so good at word problems. I will be supplementing with key to fractions and I am doing facts practice with him every morning using Saxon's 5/6 tests & worksheets book.

If I could do it again I wouldn't even use a program. I would have just concentrated on math facts and taught him basic math concepts on my own. Then we would have gone straight into LoF.

My older children all love and do great with Saxon. But I am certain my youngest son would hate it. For one thing I have to stand over his shoulder to get him to do his math, and Saxon requires more of an independant dispostion.

This is the first post I have made on this board! I have been reading for awhile now but your post really hit close to home so I had to respond! :001_smile:

I like MCP, but then I've never tried R&S.

However, I would like to suggest that there is no real crisis! It is okay for an 8 yo not to know his math facts cold. He's got lots and lots of time to learn them! Word problems too will come to him in time. There is no rush! I have found that slow and steady wins the race. Short lessons, consistency, making math fun and patience are key. He just needs to know this stuff before he hits Algebra! He will bloom in his own time (which is the beauty of homeschooling; it lets kids develop according to THEIR natural blossoming; they aren't forced 'learn' in lockstep time with all their peers according to an imposed institutionalized regiment).

Just my 2 cents from someone who has been doing this awhile!

Math has been our biggest struggle. My Dd 8 is in 3rd this year. We have tried them all trust me. From Horizons, Abeka, BJU, CLE, AOP.

This year after a ton of research, were using Saxon 3 and R&S 3.

I use Saxon because it has a "meeting" time, which makes me teach her stuff like Clock, money, calendar, thermometer, skip counting and a problem of the day. It's great and Dd loves it.

Saxon is very easy to teach cuz it is scripted. BUT, I think it may be missing a few things so I got R&S 3 so I can drill the flashcards and it is a very basic, solid math that has a ton of basic problems. I let her write in the book like a workbook cuz there is plenty of room.

My Dd used to cry and get so frustrated everyday in Math but now she loves it so much and she's making me do it on the week-ends. It's so weird!! I was gonna drop Saxon and just use R&S but she loves it. I know it will help her so we'll keep doing what is now working.

Oh, R&S has all that "meeting" stuff too so I may eventually just do the R&S one alone without her really knowing it. She would still use the "meeting strip" from saxon, which I think is a really good idea they came up with.

HTH!

Hi Ellie,

I love the description you give of R & S! However, I am a wee bit leary, as I wonder if once my "all boy" ds sees the "cute" worksheets, he would run in the opposite direction. :glare: I suppose worse things could happen, right?:lol:

I do keep coming back to this, as it seems so solid-and from what I understand, I wouldn't need to supplement. I just *love* how teacher friendly R& S is-even though it is created for a classroom, it is crystal clear when it comes to explanations. (At least that's my experience with the English.)

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, they're not THAT cute.:) There's a shepherd with his sheep, and sailboats, and bees.

I LOVED it, but my second dc was brought to tears every day. He hated having so many problems on a page. Even if I crossed off half the problems or only made him do half a lesson a day, he still had a meltdown. He's very visual, and just seeing them there was enough. My third dc is a 1st grader this year. I can't decide if I want to attempt R & S with him or try MCP. I know MCP moves a little faster, but he seems more math-minded than my older two. Whichever I decide, I'll definitely supplement with Singapore.