Menu

Outer Banks Vacation

Hello Friends!

We are so excited we are leaving for the Outer Banks tomorrow! We rented a beautiful beach house down there in Corolla in Whalehead. Which is pretty close to Duck as well.

Anyway, this is our first time going to the Outer Banks and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for anything not to miss. I know the area is not jammed packed with stuff but I thought there might be some good restaurants to try and places to stop. We are bringing our bikes too, is there somewhere that would be great to take them to?

Thanks for any info!! This is like the first vacation that I did no planning or research on before we left.

Oooo!! We went to OBX several years ago and just loved it!!

Not to miss is the Aquarium in Manteo. The kids loved it and it wasn't very expensive to get in (less than $10 for adults, if I remember correctly and children under a certain age are free, but I don't remember the cut-off...it might be 7 or 8?)

The Lost Colony (also in Manteo) was very enjoyable! They've recreated a settlement and there's a boat you can board and try to imagine yourself on this teeny little ship on the ocean for months at a time! It's really something!

My boys especially enjoyed the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk -- you can see a replica of the plane the Wright Brothers flew and their workshops, etc. They have "markers" where you can see how far it flew the first time and subsequent flights, etc.

For food, my boys LOVE Mako Mike's which is a great seafood restaurant with shark decor. Right next to it is Lost Treasure Golf, which is a cute little putt-putt course with a train to take you up to the course, etc. (I believe they're both not far from the Wright Brothers Memorial).

Those were our best memories of the place!

Enjoy!!

Edited by hsmamainva
added info

We've been to Coralla several times. One thing we really enjoyed was that we rented a jeep and drove out to the northern end of the main road. It turns into beach that you are only allowed on with four-wheel drive. We drove up and around behind the houses that are out there (there are trails behind the dunes) and searched for wild horses. We didn't see many, but did see several and it was fun just being out on the beach like that. Since you're going in off season, you may have more luck finding the horses because the area won't be quite as populated as it is during the summer.

Another year, we did an activity (tour) where you ride in four-wheel drive vehicles out into the end of the Outer Banks (same area as above). We saw wild horses on that trip, too. They drive you out there and then put you in kayaks (on the Sound side) and take you around in the water. We had a large group and I can't remember if it was supposed to be this way or not, but they picked us up with a bigger boat then to take us back to the starting place. With a smaller group they may drive you back in the jeeps.

Of course, the lighthouses are not to be missed. There are lots of places to ride bikes so you'll have no trouble there. Hopefully, you won't have this trouble because of the off-season, but you may want to be prepared that sometimes traffic gets quite conjested between Coralla and the more southern parts of the Outerbanks so you may want to allow for extra time if you head for Wright Brothers or the Aquariam.

Have a great time!

Edited by JanOH
spelling issues :)

Hey, Danielle: We are leaving tomorrow as well for Corolla - we've rented a home and we are SO looking forward to it -- we've been visiting Corolla and Duck for about 6 years now - 2-3 times a year - winter and summer.

The aquarium is a must see, the 4x4 beach is a great place to take a drive, have a picnic, and take a long walk. The 'planned tour' of the 4x4 area is also quite fun and interesting - we did that on our first trip and the kids still talk about it - there are a number of tour operators.

"tommy's" gourmet market in Duck/Corolla is the place to go for that 'special' something you might want to cook, and the Harris-Teeter just outside of Currituck Club is wonderful.

The movie theater in Kill Devil Hills will be the theater open now that it is past Labor Day and we have always had good experiences there --it's about a 20-25 minute drive from Whalehead.

Mini golf places abound, Kitty Hawk is a must see. The Lost Colony is not performing since it is after Labor Day. The shops in Manteo are fun to browse in. The Lighthouse in Corolla (on the soundside) has a really interesting 'Nature Center Building' -- check on line or the local newspapers. They have workshops for the kids and adults all the time -- one usually has to pre-register on the day of the workshop. The workshops typically last about an hour. We have gone a few times and the kids have built birdhouses that the rangers will hang in the woods so the birds will be fed during the winter -- interesting displays about life on the outer banks, etc.

The aquarium has similar workshops and activities - check on line and the local papers. There is a pottery painting place (can't think of what MP#) - we've gone there and had a good time.

The Y has a family weekly membership for $100 that entitles you to use the indoor pool and other features there - so if the weather is going to be an issue, you might want to check that out. We have also joined the Y in the past and have been quite happy with it.

Check out the sales at 'WINGS' for sweatshirts and beach towels at a great savings for Christmas presents. The shops in Duck and in Corolla (in Corolla, the Tim Bock Too shopping center - cute, quaint, across from Buck Island Community) are great places to browse and get ice cream, pizza, dinner, baked goods, 'ceramic painted horses.'

Hope this helps -- Oh, fishing off the piers and on the 4X4 beach -- great fun! And watching the fishing boats unload at Oregon Inlet at the end of the day (4pm) -- you will see some of the most amazing fish ever.

HTH -- :001_smile:

Edited by MariannNOVA

Don't miss Jockey's Ridge in Kitty Hawk. It boasts some of the largest sand dunes on the east coast, up to 100 ft tall. I think you have to bring your own "sled"...metal trash lids work well. You might be able to rent them there though...you can probably Google it.

There's also an awesome kite shop there in Kitty Hawk, I can't recall the name.

Yes, The Wright Brothers Memorial is really cool!

Hello Friends!

We are so excited we are leaving for the Outer Banks tomorrow! We rented a beautiful beach house down there in Corolla in Whalehead. Which is pretty close to Duck as well.

Anyway, this is our first time going to the Outer Banks and just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for anything not to miss. I know the area is not jammed packed with stuff but I thought there might be some good restaurants to try and places to stop. We are bringing our bikes too, is there somewhere that would be great to take them to?

Thanks for any info!! This is like the first vacation that I did no planning or research on before we left.

My grandfather was born in Corolla (which is not pronounced like the car, lol). :-)

Of course, you should see all 4 OBX lighthouses: Corolla, Bodie Island (which is pronounced "body"), Hatteras, and Ocracoke (you'll have to take a ferry to Ocracoke).

Thanks for all of the great ideas so far!

Another question, typically is there a lot of people down there this time of year? My son is worried there won't be any other kids down on the beach to play with. We are going with just my parents so no other kids.

Thanks!

Hi -- There will be people, just not throngs and traffic jams of people that you would see in the middle of July. No wait to get into restaurants, easy to get a parking space at the aquarium, and it won't take 3 hours to drive 9 miles up to Whalehead. All in all, the best time of the year to go in addition to late May/early June.

It will probably be easier for your son to find someone to play with as it will be easier to spot someone his own age on the beach.

We will be there - leaving tomorrow -- my ds is almost nine -- pm me if you would like to meet. :001_smile: We have rented a home in Corolla Light.