Menu

First Language Lessons

persephone43

Would you use this as a starting point for a 3rd grader? He had to repeat the 1st grade twice and is having trouble still (now in 2nd grade in public school). Math and science are a breeze but he is way behind on language arts/reading. I will be bringing him home to teach him myself either in the spring or the next school year and I want something that gives him a really strong foundation.

Also, what about Susan's new writing program for elementary age?

Thank You!

So is he staying in PS and you are looking for some things to help him?

First things first, getting him caught up reading. Elizabeth's resources would be the most important thing:

I would definitely use Writing With Ease.

FLL is not as incrementally helpful as WWE. So if you choose one, go with WWE. If you go with FLL 1/2, just start with the second half. The first half will seem too babyish and repetitive. (That's what DD says anyway.)

DD was way ahead on reading before I sent her to PS K and then she went backward... then she stayed at around 4th grade level (that's Closed Captioning level, lol) and was pretty reluctant to read, so I got her Sonlight 2 Intermediate Readers to get her up to speed. They gradually increase in complexity.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Would you use this as a starting point for a 3rd grader? He had to repeat the 1st grade twice and is having trouble still (now in 2nd grade in public school). Math and science are a breeze but he is way behind on language arts/reading. I will be bringing him home to teach him myself either in the spring or the next school year and I want something that gives him a really strong foundation.

Also, what about Susan's new writing program for elementary age?

Thank You!

What type of problems is he having specifically with reading? I would focus first on the reading issues, and secondary on writing and LA. That said I have found First Language lessons (FLL) and Writing With Ease (WWE) great resources. I did start Pumpkin, my 2nd dd on FLL in 3rd grade. She did two lessons a day, and I do not follow the script to a T. If she knows the material I will skip large parts of the script. A 3rd grader can pick things up more quickly than a 1st grader.

Heather