Menu

New HS with questions

shirada

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to HS. I have been reading a great deal on this site the past few days and have some questions.

I have a DD7 (2nd grade), and a DD9 (4th grade) who I just pulled from PS. They both read well above grade level and are pretty bright.

I took a look at WWE today, (level 1 & 2), for DD7 because she has never done it before, and level 1 seemed too simple. I downloaded the first week's lessons from level 3 and did the first day with her yesterday and she did fine, (but we have yet to come to dicatation). I guess my question is, would it be okay to skip level 1 and move straight to level 2 for my 2nd grader? Level 3 seems appropriate for DD9, but the same question applies: With no prior WWE experience, would it be okay to start my 4th grader at level 3?

I am not too sure about grammar, but if I decide to do it, I would use FFL which I looked at today. I could only find level 3 and 4 which seemed appropriate for each of them respectively, but without looking at the lower levels, it is hard to know for sure. Which levels would you recommend for my DD's ages, particularly if I were to combine it with WWE?

Meaningful composition looked interesting from all that I read here and on thier website, (although I have not been able to see it "in the flesh" so to speak). Would it be overkill or repetitious to use all thre MC, WWE and FLL?

One other question, as a beginner, I am somewhat overwhelmed and was wondering whether there is a decent math curriculum anyone can recommend that is kind of scripted like the WWE/FLL program? For now, I have Math-U-See, but have not looked at the video and do not currently have the student workbooks, (and quite frankly, it scares the hell out of me :chillpill:).

Thanks so much for reading thus far and I look forward to hearing from all those more experienced than I.

Regarding WWE - I highly suggest that you purchase Writing With East - Strong Fundamentals (this is a book, not the workbooks) by SWB. It gives a great overview of where you are going with WWE. Plus each year has a mastery evaluation, which will tell you where to place your children. I like how narration is taught at a slow pace, building on past lessons.

Regarding FLL - I have 7 yo and 9 yo and suggest that you use FLL1/2 for the younger and FLL 3 for the older. I have two dd the same ages and have 7yo dd in FLL 2 and 9yo dd in FLL 3 (she started last year, but we only got through half the book). There is a pretty big difference between the two levels. You shouldn't have any problem skipping FLL 1 and going to level 2 for your 7yo.

Better to start at easier levels and have some successes early in your homeschooling career than to start your kids at too difficult of levels.

I don't know MC, but if it's language arts, I think FLL and WWE has it all, except spelling.

For math, I'm a Singapore fan.

Hi everyone,

One other question, as a beginner, I am somewhat overwhelmed and was wondering whether there is a decent math curriculum anyone can recommend that is kind of scripted like the WWE/FLL program? For now, I have Math-U-See, but have not looked at the video and do not currently have the student workbooks, (and quite frankly, it scares the hell out of me :chillpill:).

I can't comment on WWE, but I do have experience with Math-U-See. I'd suggest you watch the video, but the level of the video will make a difference. It's an excellent program, but you'll definitely need the workbooks and teacher's manuals, not to mention the manipulatives. Have you figured out which levels each of your children will need?

Let me know if I can answer other questions on MUS.

Tiffany

Saxon is scripted. You could see what your kids test in to by going to their site and taking a placement test (only works if you've never used Saxon). I use it a year ahead, so I'd place your 2nd gr dd in Saxon 3, but may place your 4th grade dd in Saxon 5/4, again depending on placement test results.

Oh, and with WWE, I'd get the "main" book, read it, and then determine if the levels were a good fit. (I use Rod and Staff for writing and grammar, the original recommendation of SWB before she wrote WWE, but may switch).

For math...we're using Horizons with one kid and Singapore with another.

I think Horizons is really easy to use. Singapore tends to drag on a little longer than my daughter likes it to...but the lessons are very thorough.

I think they are both a lot cheaper than MUS.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I found them very helpful. I checked out "Strong Fundamentals....." from the library and both my 7 and 9 yr. old will need WWE level 2. Is it possible to order an extra set of student pages?

My daughters, (particularly the 9 yr. old) dislike too many worksheets and drills, which makes me concerned about using Saxon, (although the scripted approach does appeal to me right now). I am finding it hard to find samples online. Does anyone have a link for Saxon samples? Any other easy to teach math recommendations?

Math Mammoth looks appealing in that it is user-friendly for me and thorough. I just do not want to overwhlem them with math, but of course I want them to understand and be able to do age-appropriate concepts.

Is there anything else I should be using/doing in LA asides from WWE and FLL, (asides from much reading and read-alouds which we do a lot)? I feel that a creative element would be missing with both those programs. I should add that I am not a fan of spelling.

One more question.......I was told by the HS charter we are signed up with in California, that SOTW is not enough to cover the standards. Can anyone please recommend another secular source for History study for both 2nd and 4th grades? We will be using (Book one)SOTW also, (is that okay for a 4th grader?)

Thank you

Saxon Math is very scripted. We love it! I posted below how I use Saxon without overdoing the worksheets and drill. We've always used it and I highly recommend it. For your kids, I'd recommend taking the placement tests available online and start them at the appropriate level. You can find Saxon samples at christianbook.com. There are also placement tests there as well.

Is it possible to order an extra set of student pages? Yes, the Peace Hill Press website sells just the student pages.

My daughters, (particularly the 9 yr. old) dislike too many worksheets and drills. Any other easy to teach math recommendations? Right Start is easy to teach once you get your brain wrapped around how it works. You can also try out MEP (it's free!), which has worksheets pretty much every day, but they aren't the standard "complete the 30 problems on this page" kind. Singapore is also good, you can buy the Home Instructor's Guide to help you teach it.

Math Mammoth looks appealing in that it is user-friendly for me and thorough. If your child doesn't like worksheets, she won't like MM. It's nothing but worksheets and a few ideas for games. It is simple to use and thorough, but I wouldn't use it for a worksheet-phobic child.

Is there anything else I should be using/doing in LA asides from WWE and FLL, (asides from much reading and read-alouds which we do a lot)? If your children are good spellers, you don't need anything else, but if they need work, definitely add spelling. Other than that, just have them read every day, and you can have them do creative writing, too. The Writer's Jungle might be helpful.

One more question.......I was told by the HS charter we are signed up with in California, that SOTW is not enough to cover the standards. What did they say was insufficient about it? Were you planning on using the activity guide, too? Can anyone please recommend another secular source for History study for both 2nd and 4th grades? Calvert has a one year world history study for fourth grade. Your second grader would likely get somthing out of it, too. You can also look at History Odyssey by Pandia Press. We will be using (Book one)SOTW also, (is that okay for a 4th grader?) Yes, it's fine.