Menu

Math Curriculum Question

My sophomore is currently working on Jacobs Geometry after completing Algebra 1 last year (Glencoe). I don't believe Jacobs has an Algebra 2 course. Does anyone have any recommendations for what we should do the last 2 years as far as curriculum following Jacobs Geometry? I know I'm looking way ahead, but I tend to obsess about these things if they aren't already in place! :001_smile: Thank you!

Glenco is what my dd used in PS a few years ago.

She had no problem going into Lial's Intermediate Algebra.

I think any of the following would work just fine and would be at a college prep level:

Lial (Margaret Lial author)

Foerster

Larson (author of text Chalkdust uses)

There are of course other good programs--but these are my top picks--not in any particular order (but I do LOVE Lial :tongue_smilie: )

Lots of people follow Jacobs with Foerster's Alg II and Trig. Some do what we did--just do the alg II from that book, then switch to Foerster's pre-calculus for more in depth trig and the rest of pre-calc. The alg II and trig book predates graphing calculators, whereas the pre-calc book is much newer. I'm glad we switched where we did.

I'm sure many other options would work, if this doesn't appeal to you.

Lots of people follow Jacobs with Foerster's Alg II and Trig. Some do what we did--just do the alg II from that book, then switch to Foerster's pre-calculus for more in depth trig and the rest of pre-calc. The alg II and trig book predates graphing calculators, whereas the pre-calc book is much newer. I'm glad we switched where we did.

Paul Foerster recommended to me that we only do the Al II portion of the older text and then switch to the newer Pre-Calc book. We thought they were excellent texts. The only reason we switched away from Foerster for Calculus for DSs senior year was that I could no longer keep up and needed tutorial help.

I would highly recommend going with Foerster after Jacobs; they dovetail so well.

• 4 weeks later...

I was curious to know if anyone followed up with Jacob's Geometry with Saxon Algebra II and Advanced Mathematics. ???? We've run the gamut with math curriculum...Saxon, Teaching Textbooks, Glencoe...and I've found positives and negatives to each. Jacob's Geometry is extremely challenging (maybe slightly too challenging), but I'm determined to see it through this year. I love Teaching Textbooks for their very friendly format in the lower levels (through Pre-Algebra), but I have read they are lacking in proofs for Geometry and that their Algebra II is also subpar in certain areas. I've done Saxon before which is why I am curious to know how well it would flow after Jacob's Geometry. Any thoughts?

I think it's very difficult to jump into the Saxon high school curriculum after Algebra 1...even their newer books that don't embed Geometry. The Saxon method is just pretty unique. A more traditional book (Lial Intermediate Algebra, or Alg and Trig, or a Larson Algebra II text) would be a better fit.

Now, I say that, but my dd did Abeka Algebra II after Jacob Geometry, only because I was her classroom teacher in a small Christian school that used Abeka curriculum across the board. We followed it up with BJU PreCalculus, MUS Trigonometry, and then Larson Calculus. LOL. So, almost anything will work if you are stubborn enough. :)