Menu

How to give credit for Civil Air Patrol?

Those whose dc participate in Civil Air Patrol, if you did, how did you give credit? These kids do so much in CAP and I was told there are educational goals by IL state board of ed, that are met by CAP. The kids are given lessons in aeronautics, aerospace, military history, leadership, etc. They also do a lot of civil service, search and rescue training, etc.

Thank you

I have one Spaatz cadet and my younger son hopes to have his Spaatz by next February.

We gave no credit for CAP whatsoever. We didn't need the academic credit since ds1 had a strong academic record to begin with.

We had a page (out of a total of three) of his Activities Summary dedicated to CAP. We listed not only his Spaatz but his many other CAP notables -- participation in summer encampments and special activities, special awards, participation in ES stuff, flight training, and wing-level activities.

My guiding principle -- if a student doesn't NEED the credit on the transcript to graduate, list the activity as an extracurricular.

I have it as an extracurricular. It is an awsome one too - so I will try to make the most of it on his extracurricular stuff we send off to colleges. Keep track of awards, service, academies, "staff" positions, classes they teach . . .

Barb

I have one Spaatz cadet and my younger son hopes to have his Spaatz by next February.

We gave no credit for CAP whatsoever. We didn't need the academic credit since ds1 had a strong academic record to begin with.

We had a page (out of a total of three) of his Activities Summary dedicated to CAP. We listed not only his Spaatz but his many other CAP notables -- participation in summer encampments and special activities, special awards, participation in ES stuff, flight training, and wing-level activities.

My guiding principle -- if a student doesn't NEED the credit on the transcript to graduate, list the activity as an extracurricular.

This is what I figured. Just someone told me that some of the CAP education counts for electives and also met some of IL board of education guidelines and I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

I think for Ds, some of his CAP education will be part of some of the courses he will be taking. I just figured it will be compbined with these courses but not sure how to list them in the syllabus/course description.

THIS is what I was talking about in the transcript thread. Don't cheapen CAP by giving credit for it. Let it be what it is and put it on the correct part of a college application!

I don't know anything about CAP but certain activities might be part of fleshing out certain subjects, but I really think that giving credit for CAP itself is a big mistake.

Don't know if this helps---but my dd does Sea Cadets. (Learned about it on this board--thanks to you all!)

She went to the Flight School training for Ground School. (two weeks--stay up til 3 AM studying --kind of camp) As the program is also affiliated with JROTC in New Orleans, they give the kids 1 semester of science credit as approved by the state of Louisiana. They send a letter to the schools (or parents) stating that fact. As there is a lot of testing in these programs I guess they feel that the knowledge can be measured.

Don't know if this helps---but my dd does Sea Cadets. (Learned about it on this board--thanks to you all!)

She went to the Flight School training for Ground School. (two weeks--stay up til 3 AM studying --kind of camp) As the program is also affiliated with JROTC in New Orleans, they give the kids 1 semester of science credit as approved by the state of Louisiana. They send a letter to the schools (or parents) stating that fact. As there is a lot of testing in these programs I guess they feel that the knowledge can be measured.

Maybe this is what it was about.... I was just told that some of the training and classes given to the cadets meets some of the state educational goals (not a credit to replace any courses). More as an elective like kids in high school taking JROTC. They get credit for being in JROTC as an elective.