Menu

Skills learned video gaming?

OLG

FIrst, let me state that I am not trying to open up a discussion of the "values" of video gaming but it seems to me that there are some unique (or maybe not so unique) skills that a kid who is good at gaming can bring to the table. Since I don't play and just can't wrap my brain around games like World of Warcraft, I am hoping you wise folks can help me identify what some of these skills would be, besides keyboarding!!

My son focused intently on WOW when he was first allowed to join and advanced to top levels quickly. What did this entail in the way of skills? See...I am a complete dunce left in the dark ages with this stuff:001_huh:. And since WOW did occupy a part of his free time, I thought there might be some redeeming qualities worth capturing for a resume.

Many thanks for any help you can give!

Mary

Hello!

In a recent publication from LeTourneau University in Texas, video-gamers were addressed as having skills that could transfer to jobs that require focused attention and fast reflexes - specifically air-traffic control. Did he have to develop strategies in this game (I know nothing about WoW)? If so, that might be worth mentioning, as well.

This whole process of having to "package" our kids to show to best advantage is interesting, isn't it? My older son is beginning the college apps process as well as the National Merit Semifinalist stuff, so I can sympathize!

Blessings,

April

Thanks April! I often kid ds about becoming an air traffic controller!!

Yes, I find this packaging very distasteful. I feel like I'm "selling" or negotiating a contract. It's very much like drafting a proposal to acquire something or create a partnership (which I guess it is in a way...) but I just don't like it! I know I have to do it but boy, it isn't a pleasurable task for me. However, there is NO WAY I want ds "spinning" in his essays. I want the true personality to shine through w/o any of the silly required buzz words.

Good luck to you and your son with the college apps and NMS.

God Bless.

Mary

My son plays games with "clans" which are online groups that you join. You can also recruit players for them. That would definitely be leadership. :-)

Since WoW is online maybe you could talk with your son about other leadership-type skills, or other social-navigation skills gained in playing.

What's his field of interest? VGs have a major story-telling component along with character creation, and then there's the creative aspect of games if that's related to his desired major.

My son did his CC English research paper on video games. There's a lot of scholarly stuff out there about them. Quite interesting really.