Menu

Looking for import regulations for the US

I'm hoping you guys might help me. I want to bring some wood products into the US, obviously they will be free from pests and diseases but I want to be sure that they will be allowed in without fumigation or I won't bring them because they are to be a gift.

I've had not much luck Googling because I'm not sure which agency would deal with quarantine and biosecurity at airports.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think this is a sample of the form you'll have to complete on the airplane before arrival. You'll have to answer whether you're bringing:

a. fruits, plants, food, or insects?

b. meats, animals, or animal/wildlife products?

c. disease agents, cell cultures, or snails?

d. soil or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?

also whether you have touched or handled livestock.

I think you'll be fine :) We lived in Australia for a bit and they were WAY stricter - I brought an apple all the way from TX in my backpack and it got confiscated. I totally understand though as Australia is an island :)

Are you bringing wooden marsupials? :)

Edited by readwithem

I'm pretty sure it would be the US Customs that you would have to look at. I did a quick query about wood there and only saw concerns about wood packaging material (like sawdust and wood pallets). You should probably search yourself since you are concerned about the item. My ds comes and goes often from Japan and hasn't had any problem with his stuff - they are mostly concerning with fruits and vegetables and meat plus illegal things of course.

LOL No, not wooden marsupials. I'd like to bring two of these chopping boards as gifts:

http://www.austwattle.com.au/products.html

Thank you for that link, I'll take a bit more of a look around it and see if they mention fumigation.... that's my main worry: that they will want to take and fumigate them at enormous cost and we won't have them when we need them.

I didn't look at customs because here and in NZ it's handled by a seperate organisation to customs and immigration, missing the obvious I guess.

As an aside, oh how I hate filling out those forms! I always end up with 4 to fill in, blerk!

Hello Keptwoman:

My DH is a licensed Customs broker in the US and here is what he has to say:

It all depends on a number of factors that might determine import regulations. If you are only importing 2 of them, I would guess the value is fairly minimal, i.e. less than US$800.00 total. I would also need to know how you plan to bring these in. Hand carry in personal baggage, or are you shipping them via a freight company such as FedEx / UPS / DHL?

If the value of all gift items is under $800, and you are hand carrying them, then it should be no problem to bring these in. Just make sure you declare them on the dec they provide on the airplane.

If you are not handcarrying them, then please PM me and i can provide additional information.

No spraying of insecticide in the US on the aircraft prior to disembarkation, btw. Do they still really do that down under??

Thanks for replying Lisa :)

Yes, the value will be well under $800, and we would carry them with us in our hand luggage.

No spraying of aircraft is not done now.

But from time to time they will take a plant or animal product that they beleive may be carrying a pest or disease and fumigate it at the travellers expense, then send it on to the traveller once the treatment is finished. This is my concern really, because then we'd be short a wedding present!