Menu

Help with dd's b-day party ideas?

Her party is scheduled at my house on Saturday afternoon from 2:00 until 5:00. I have already arranged for pizza, cake and ice cream. I figure food with take about an hour and present about 1/2 an hour and then another 1/2 and hour waiting for everyone to show up. That leaves about an hour that I have to entertain them.

We were originally going to set up badmitton and crochet in the backyard but I have since found out that my next door neighbor is having an adults only pool party and I don't think that she would appreciate having a yard full of kids right next door making tons of noise.

So now I am thinking about something along the lines of a craft or activity. It will be ten little girls between the ages of 10-12. I was thinking maybe tie dye some shirts. We have done this before and I remember that it was a lot of fun but I can't remember if it was very messy or a lot of hassle. Anyway, I am thinking maybe something like that but I am willing to consider other ideas. Does anyone have any? Any things that have went over well at girls parties that you know of?

Personally, I would not change the birthday plans for the next door neighbor's pool party. I would still do some outdoor games....maybe 30 minutes for an outdoor game and 30 minutes for a craft. We've done an obstacle course, scavenger hunt, etc. The kids loved those! The crafts also went over well too. I get something neat from Oriental Trading.

I think an 30 min. outdoor activity is fine next to an adult party.

One idea for your craft is to hide the craft in a box and then have the kids go on a treasure hunt to find it. My dd's friends love treasure hunting and it is always the highlight of the party. I hide clues and within each clue is a letter. They hunt as a group and once they find all the letters then have to unscramble them to find the final location. Just make sure you go over a few rules before you start: 1. no running from location to location 2. Everyone gets a turn to read a clue 3. open the final prize together as a group.

Also I if you make cupcakes instead of a cake you can have them decorate their own cupcake which will kill about 15 minutes.