Menu

Funny experience with ds's school work yesterday...

Yesterday, ds6 had a comprehension page to. He was to read through a list of habits, and mark each one 'good' or 'bad'. In hindsight, I should have gone through them with ds. :001_smile: There were three that he got 'wrong', but after discussing them with ds, I marked them right. Here's the three; please tell me that other 6 year old boys reason like this. Ds kinda amazes and scares me at the same time sometimes with his reasoning skills...

1) Eating everything on your plate - ds marked that a bad habit, the book says it is a good habit. Ds correctly remarked that we do not do that; that if he's full, he can stop eating. We don't have the 'eat everything on your plate' rule at our house. I'm trying to teach the dc to listen to their bodies, to eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. Now, we do have the no-you-must-eat-your-broccoli rule; they're not allowed to eat only what they *love off their plate, and then suddenly be 'too full' to eat their veggies. :001_smile: But ds understands this, and just stops when he's full.

2) Listening when someone is speaking - ds marked that a bad habit, the book says it is a good habit. Clearly, the book should have said 'listening when someone is speaking TO YOU'. When I asked ds why that was a bad habit, he reminded me how he's not supposed to listen to conversations that are not for his ears. (He's had a bit if a habit in the past of trying to listen in on talks between dh and I that are not intended for him to hear, so we've stressed that point to him in the past.)

3) Asking for help when you don't don't need help - This is obviously a typo, as the teacher's manual has only one 'don't'. But ds figured out that if you don't don't need help, that means you DO need help, so he marked this as a good habit. :D

Anyone else have some good ones to share?