Menu

Testing (proofing?) yeast.

In a half cup of warm water I mixed two teaspoons of yeast and one teaspoon of sugar. It is my understanding that I should have equal parts liquid and bubbly foam in about ten minutes if the yeast is still active. Instead I have three parts liquid to one part foam.

Is my yeast dead?

When I'm proofing my yeast, I don't usually use that much sugar, unless the recipe calls for it. 3 parts liquid to 1 part foam should be ok, although you could wait longer to see if it gets foamier. Sometimes mine just takes longer. Do you know how warm your water was when you added the yeast? If it was too hot, it could kill the yeast, and if it wasn't warm enough, it will just take longer to foam.

Thanks, everyone! The dough is mixed and ready to rise.

IF it were me, at this point, I would add more yeast, and a bit more sugar. If it then gets about half and half bubbles, I'd use it, otherwise, I'd chuck it and get fresher yeast.

WHatcha making?

Got it! I am mixing up the basic boule recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. This is perfect soup and bread weather!