Menu

Covering my homeschool table

We have homeschool in the living room. I have a patched together sort of table - a walnut extension table that has pressed board extenders in it because the old walnut ones warped. This is not the sort of really beautiful table that you want to spend money having refinished, and it needs to be covered because with the wacky extensions, it obviously doesn't look nice (but is very functional for extended family dinners). It's 96 inches long and oval.

I've just had table clothes on it and then allowed the kids to use individual hard mats for working on it. I wished it looked more like school. Any ideas?

You could put some educational posters on the table and cover it with a clear plastic tablecloth. We school in the dining room and I have a large world map on our table covered with thick vinyl cover. I like it because the kids can slip their school schedule under the plastic and the schedule is out of the way but still readable.

I bought our plastic cover in fabric store off the roll. It is pretty thick and I think it is going on year 4.

We have homeschool in the living room. I have a patched together sort of table - a walnut extension table that has pressed board extenders in it because the old walnut ones warped. This is not the sort of really beautiful table that you want to spend money having refinished, and it needs to be covered because with the wacky extensions, it obviously doesn't look nice (but is very functional for extended family dinners). It's 96 inches long and oval.

I've just had table clothes on it and then allowed the kids to use individual hard mats for working on it. I wished it looked more like school. Any ideas?

Could you sand it down and paint it? You could even do the top with chalk board paint.

We have a fitted vinyl tablecloth. It's not the most fashionable, but it is durable, easily cleaned, and cheap. I think they're designed for outdoor patio use, so they really can take a beating from kids.

http://home-furnishings.drleonards.com/Home-Furnishings/Home-Decor/Fitted-Tablecloths/64868.cfm

http://www.happyaccents.com/cgi-local/ASI_Store.cgi?Category+FittedTableClothsOval_FittedTableClothsAll-TableCloths

You could put some educational posters on the table and cover it with a clear plastic tablecloth. We school in the dining room and I have a large world map on our table covered with thick vinyl cover. I like it because the kids can slip their school schedule under the plastic and the schedule is out of the way but still readable.

I bought our plastic cover in fabric store off the roll. It is pretty thick and I think it is going on year 4.

I just read about an idea to cover a world map with clear vinyl covering from a craft store to use as a table cloth. It brings lots of cool discussions about geography, history, etc. And it's wipable too! I'm thinking about doing it.

I just read about an idea to cover a world map with clear vinyl covering from a craft store to use as a table cloth. It brings lots of cool discussions about geography, history, etc. And it's wipable too! I'm thinking about doing it.

I actually bought mine at Walmart in the fabric section. They have several different thicknesses. I love ours because we don't have any wall space in our dining room so it is the perfect spot for a map. I just cover it with a normal tablecloth when we entertain.

I actually bought mine at Walmart in the fabric section. They have several different thicknesses. I love ours because we don't have any wall space in our dining room so it is the perfect spot for a map. I just cover it with a normal tablecloth when we entertain.

Oh Great! I'm off to Walmart.... :)

I second (or third, fourth??) the clear vinyl form Walmart. Make sure you get a good thickness. I still use individual dry erase boards for a harder writing surface.

Since it is in your living room - you could put a pretty tablecloth that goes with your living room to place under the vinyl. I have a tablecloth made from the "Fall into Books" fabric by Mary Engelbreit - I love it. And occassionally we have also put a map between the cloth and the clear vinyl - the kids liked having it there.

I had a table we just did for our schoolroom. It's really long, so I put all their artwork from last year, at each desk spot I put their schedule. I went to Home Depot and covered it with a piece of Plexiglass, they love seeing their artwork and it looks really sweet.:)

I missed your post a few days ago, but one idea I have always kept in mind if I ever get a big old table is this. Fir up the sides of the table with strips of wood 1/4-1/2" by 1" or so. Nail these all around your table with finish nails (with strips being short and wide). Then you put the desired items - photos, maps, historical documents, old artwork, etc in a collage pattern on the table. I think you would have to use some type of adhesive. Then there is a product you buy that you mix and pour into/onto the table. When it dries, you have a permanent hard surface. Cover it for company. I first loved this idea when Wendy's first opened when I was in high school. (You know the tables with the old sear's catalogs or whatever.)

Of course the big sheet of thick plexiglass or glass would be good too, and easier. We had several old work desks growing up covered with a heavy sheet of glass with burnished edges. The glass is still good 40 years later. I don't know about an eating table though, as heavy pots and dishes could react badly with a glass surface.