Menu

PSAT Scores for National Merit Scho;arships

Hello everyone!

Please forgive any typos - I am using my son's computer and the key board is strange! Our family computer is wheezing its last wheeze, so we are shopping....any suggestions?

Now for the real topic! My son took the PSAT last fall as a junior and scored very well, in my opinion (220). Now we are wondering when we might be notified if he is invited to continue in the National Merit Scholarship process. How do we find out what scores are needed here in CA to proceed? Any help would be much appreciated!

thanks mucho!

Blessings,

April

The National Merit semifinalist cutoff scores vary by state. They haven't been published yet for this year's group of seniors, but last year's cutoffs can give you an idea. Keep an eye on that discussion thread over at College Confidential; they'll probably be the first to figure out this year's cutoffs. Your ds should definitely have a chance with that score:).

If your son took the PSAT as a homeschooler and he reached semifinalist level, then he should be notified any time now by mail at home (the packets are already appearing). However, if he attends school somewhere, then it's up to his school administration to notify him and give him his packet.

Good luck!

~Kathy

Thank you, Kathy!

We homeschool through an umbrella school and used that code, so I will call our administrator tomorrow to find out if he has received anything regarding my son yet. My son's first choice university, LeTourneau in TX offers a very generous scholarship for national merit finalists and zip for semi-finalists. That $20k a year for four years would come in handy!

I appreciate the link, a well. I have never explored that website; once I have a new computer for me, I will spend some time there. Is it as easy to navigate as this forum?

Thanks and blessings!

April

College Confidential has lots of useful information, but just a warning - it can be a bit overwhelming at times. I use it in small doses!

Good luck to your son & good luck with the scholarship:001_smile:.

~Kathy

:iagree:

College Confidential can be a bit over the top, particularly the students who have an "Ivy or bust" attitude. I've enjoyed "chatting" with the parents on the "2010" thread - they're more down to earth - though none of the regulars homeschools. At the moment they're in the throes of senior schedule mishaps. :glare:

Thank you, Kathy!

We homeschool through an umbrella school and used that code, so I will call our administrator tomorrow to find out if he has received anything regarding my son yet.

It appears homeschoolers received the packet before bricks and mortar schools, so your umbrella school may not have received the details yet.

This list is a bit more "official" than the one Kathy posted from College Confidential, and shows the last two years' cutoffs. For California, the cutoff for 2008 seniors was 218 and for 2009 seniors, it was 217... so I would say your son is in very good standing to be a semi-finalist. I've never heard of a 3 point increase in one year for any state. :001_smile::001_smile: