Menu

Wanna see the final picks for dc's curriculum this year?

Sue G in PA

After weeks (if not months) of prayer and thought and going back and forth, this is what we have. Any comments?

ds8 (the tough one to school): finishing Singapore 1B, 2A/2B (hopefully), FIAR, The Phonics Road (moving quickly through level 1 and into 2 very soon), might add WWE depending on his tolerance, reading good books

ds6: FIAR, The Reading Lesson/The Phonics Road, ETC online, Progress in Math (1st grade) and moving to MFW 1st by Jan.

dd4: MFW K, FIAR w/ older brothers

Any comments/suggestions? I realize ds8 has a "light" load...but I must make it tolerable for him this year and as fun as possible so he doesn't fight me quite so much, kwim? He reads very well and so I'm hoping to breeze through PR level 1 and into 2 very soon (and as soon as I can afford it).

Thanks!

I think it looks pretty good and I totally understand about having one that fights you on stuff. We have loved The Reading Lesson with ds6 and it is painlessly getting the job done. They have some printable certificates on their web site that my ds loves to put stickers on as we finish each lesson.

I looked at FIAR and would love to hear how it goes with a lot of children. I have 4 kids and was nervous about trying it with all of the kids being at different ages and stages in reading. So we are researching it a bit more.

I think it looks like a good year for you and the kids. :grouphug:

You know Sue, I TOTALLY agree with you giving your ds8 a lighter load this year! It is sooo much better to work on learning the basics and not overload, while working on a strong base in those main subjects, than to try to accomplish a lot---and have him hate it and fight it! He'll be learning a LOT, by learning to control his emotions, concentrate, and learn in his environment! The easier material can help him gain confidence and enjoy it more! All this is so he can build a strong base to build on as time goes by. He's young, and will be able to "catch up" on academics later. You never know how far-reaching the positive effects can be!

**I know I'm "gushing" over this.....it's just that I've seen so many kids in school (including me) pushed on when they're just not ready, and having problems all the way through because of it! So I LOVE seeing a mom/teacher who is willing to put on the brakes and reach that child for their future benefit!**

I think you are Right On!! I love FIAR and use it for our main curriculum.

There is so much you can do with it if you feel you want to beef it up for your older son. I have a second grader with FIAR this year and I purchased Uncle Josh's Outline Maps. Everytime we come to a country or state I print out a map and we get our atlas out and we look at various surrounding places and bodies of water, rivers, landmarks ect... It's been great. www.homeschoolshare also has great things to add to FIAR and the FIAR website has great Fold N Learns which are lapbooks to go with some of the books.

I also add alot of books from the library that pertain to the FIAR book of the week. FIAR just doesn't feel like the drudgery of school, it's very light but so amazingly meaty!

We'd be using FIAR with my 8 year old if he didn't FIGHT me about it, so I totally understand looking for something you can do that is both interesting and educational that won't cause a lot of "discussion". You've got math and reading and those are always my must haves if things are going to go haywire.

Still thinking about using FIAR for the younger one. I think he'd love it, actually... and maybe it would sneak something interesting in for the older boy. Hmmm.

We'd be using FIAR with my 8 year old if he didn't FIGHT me about it, so I totally understand looking for something you can do that is both interesting and educational that won't cause a lot of "discussion". You've got math and reading and those are always my must haves if things are going to go haywire.

Still thinking about using FIAR for the younger one. I think he'd love it, actually... and maybe it would sneak something interesting in for the older boy. Hmmm.