Menu

Has anyone used Oak Meadow Kindergarten?

Hopefully someone else will jump in with a review or feedback, but I used OM Kindergarten years ago and absolutely loved it. Looking through it briefly on the OM site, it doesn't appear to have changed much over the years. It is a very *gentle,* [loosely] Waldorf-inspired approach, so if you're comfortable with that then it's good.

That said, if Waldorf is what you want - you might check out the Earthschooling curriculum. It's a lot less expensive, and if the Kindergarten level is anything like the rest of her curriculum, you'll get A LOT more for your money. We use her monthly supplemental curriculum and it's superb, there's just a ton of stuff included.

I used it last year with my youngest. I loved it! It was not rigid or structured at all. They had weekly suggestion for letters, numbers, nature, crafts, movement that you could schedule in a way that worked for you.

The downside is, as the poster said above, if you have a child who knows their letters and numbers already, this might be too simple for them.

So my next question is...

Could you use the 1st grade curriculum with a kindergartener (5/6 year-old)?

This is Kid #3 out of 4...I've noticed the third and fourth kids seem to be more "advanced" compared to the oldest at the same age. :glare: I wouldn't want to meet either of them in a dark alley... :001_huh:

I tried OM K last year and absolutely hated it. I needed way more structure than they provided. The literature was entirely Beatrix Potter books, which dd and I both hated, and the art supplies were hideously expensive. DD despised circle time and we fought over that until I just jettisoned it. I also hated their approach to math. I liked their science but it was hard, though not impossible, to use in an urban environment.

So my next question is...

Could you use the 1st grade curriculum with a kindergartener (5/6 year-old)?

This is Kid #3 out of 4...I've noticed the third and fourth kids seem to be more "advanced" compared to the oldest at the same age. :glare: I wouldn't want to meet either of them in a dark alley... :001_huh:

If you're using Oak Meadow, or a similar Waldorf-inspired curriculum, then yes you could. Waldorf curriculum isn't really academic at the younger levels because there's more emphasis on learning through play and imitation. Really, all you're doing at the K level is telling stories, baking bread, singing songs, drawing pictures, etc. It is very relaxed.

First grade is where you'd introduce the alphabet and numbers (via Fairy Tales)...and now that I type this, I think that's what I did with the twins (used a combination of OM K & 1st). If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably start with 1st grade and use elements of this curriculum - Along the Alphabet Path (which is free and will further reinforce the letters learned). On another forum I frequent, many people use "Along the Alphabet Path" all by itself with great success. So that's another option.