Menu

Anyone else think that IEW's SICC is outrageously overpriced?

creekmom

I think my son is getting a lot out of IEW's SWI A course, but I noticed that it doesn't cover all the units. So, I looked at "what's next" - SICC -A has the rest of the units. It costs $240.00!!!! Then, the advisors suggest following up with SICC B and then SICC C- for a total of $480.00. So, total price for the teacher's manual, the SWI then the follow-ups is $959.00!!!! It's a good program, but really??!!! I realize that Andrew says the program is "doable" with just the teacher's guide, but to put such an outrageous price on the "helps" really angers me. Anyone else?

Per dvd, the IEW dvds cost less than most dvd programs.

TWSS does teach you how to teach all the units. There are several theme based units that give you teacher lessons without the dvds and are much less in cost. The IEWfamilies yahoo group will give you lots of ideas and help files for free if interested.

The dvds have the benefit of a great teacher teaching (and it's not mom!). They are expensive, but cheaper than most writing classes I can put my child in locally - and reusable. The dvds resale for about 75-80% of the cost on the IEWforsale yahoo group.

The price was very eye-opening to me, but it doesn't anger me to pay for the program if I choose to use it. I also happen to think it is worth the money.

I think it is worth the money too. My dc will actually write now and they love Mr. Pudewa. The SICC includes 9 dvds and a cd rom of all the handouts. I will use it to teach all 5 of my children writing. It includes 1-2 years of writing instruction.

I did wait to start this program until middle school so I could start with SWI B.

I did wait to start this program until middle school so I could start with SWI B.

I waited until B too, and i'll get the next one at the C level, and teach the A level myself for the younger 2 (my middle is a year at least away from being able to start).

But the TWSS and SWI-B was a good place to start for me!

2 years of writing, if not more. I've only used the first 3 lessons of IEW SWI B but I'm impressed so far and am already thinking about purchasing SICC B. I just looked at the teacher's notes for the latter program and it is an extensive program that will take at least one year - but I guess I'm used to high prices. Here in DC, the school are not good (surprise, surprise) so most of our friends attend private schools which start at 10K for the catholic churches and up to 28K for the Georgetown Day/Sidwell Friends type schools.