Menu

Has anyone used MFW Lesson plans for Singapore Math?

Mommy7

MFW's lesson plans aren't actual daily plans. I can't recall what exactly it did contain b/c I only asked about it on their boards and decided not to get it b/c I needed the daily plans. There is a good explanation on the MFW boards as to what exactly their plans are.

Ummm... we use MFW's lesson plans for Singapore, and they are indeed "actual daily plans". Day 1, pages xyz of Textbook, pages abc of Workbook. Day 2, pages def of Textbook, pages ghi of Workbook. Next to each day is a space for you/the student to write in the date that it was done.

At the beginning of each new concept that's taught, there are notes to explain the key words to emphasize in the upcoming lessons, and some ideas for how to help the child understand that new concept.

I've found them helpful because not only can my child work independently with these lesson plans, but there's no guessing as to how long the lesson should go. If my child is getting the concept easily, she may do two or three lessons a day.

So let's say you give your child the Singapore placement test and he/she lands on level 4B. So you would purchase:

Primary Math 4B and 5A $45.00

And that includes the Textbook, Workbook, and lesson plans for both levels 4B and 5A, a full year's worth of lessons, for $45.

So let's say you give your child the Singapore placement test and he/she lands on level 4B. So you would purchase:

Primary Math 4B and 5A $45.00

And that includes the Textbook, Workbook, and lesson plans for both levels 4B and 5A, a full year's worth of lessons, for $45.

Thanks! I tried to figure out their website before, but I couldn't find it. :confused: Now I know I should just order from them. :)

Oh wow, I just realized that I was thinking of LHFHG (or whatever the acronym is LOL). Nevermind!! :)

Edited by RaeAnne

Thanks! I tried to figure out their website before, but I couldn't find it. :confused: Now I know I should just order from them. :)

Oh wow, I just realized that I was thinking of LHFHG (or whatever the acronym is LOL). Nevermind!! :)

LOL! Well, you can't get Singapore with its own lesson plans from HOD. I know HOD sells Singapore, too, but the lesson plans are written into the history TMs. If your child is in the same level of Singapore as what's included in the history TM that you're using from HOD, then you're good to go. :)

Thanks for the info so far....do folks like these better than the Singapore Teacher manuals?

I've personally never tried the ones from Singapore. I did try one from Sonlight, but it was too confusing, cluttered, and seemed unnecessary. It might be more beneficial in the upper levels of Singapore, though. IMO, in the lower levels you just don't need it (extra teaching notes and examples in the SL IG).

All these acronyms! So mfw is my father's world...they'll sell you 4 books for $45 plus the daily lesson plans. If you go to the singapore site, you can buy the workbooks & texts for $9 each...no lesson plans...but are the daily lesson plans worth $6? (okay-maybe?). I like to have the answer keys for quicker checking sometimes. You lose this with mfw...correct. I guess I don't really see too much of a benefit?

Also...is the cd rom really that good for getting the multiplication tables down. We're still finishing 2B at the start of 3rd grade...we're about 3/4 of the way thru...We'll have to double up on lessons to get thru it!!! In my defense...we started on singapore a couple monthes into the second grade year :001_huh:

All these acronyms! So mfw is my father's world...they'll sell you 4 books for $45 plus the daily lesson plans. If you go to the singapore site, you can buy the workbooks & texts for $9 each...no lesson plans...but are the daily lesson plans worth $6? (okay-maybe?). I like to have the answer keys for quicker checking sometimes. You lose this with mfw...correct. I guess I don't really see too much of a benefit?

As I mentioned earlier, I thought at one time they had the lesson plans on there as a separate purchase, and I believe the price was $15. Maybe you can still buy them that way if you call the office, I'm not sure. That being the case, buying the package at $45 is a discounted price in sum (if you want the lesson plans).

If you don't need or want the lesson plans, don't buy them. I personally find them helpful, particularly since it enables my girls to work independently and stay on track. I do "teaching" particularly at the beginning of each new concept where MFW has supplied additional teacher notes, but after that, I only step in when I see a problem area. I use the Answer Key (which MFW also sells) for quick checking of their answers.

Also...is the cd rom really that good for getting the multiplication tables down. We're still finishing 2B at the start of 3rd grade...we're about 3/4 of the way thru...We'll have to double up on lessons to get thru it!!! In my defense...we started on singapore a couple monthes into the second grade year :001_huh:
What CD Rom are you talking about?

Ummm... we use MFW's lesson plans for Singapore, and they are indeed "actual daily plans". Day 1, pages xyz of Textbook, pages abc of Workbook. Day 2, pages def of Textbook, pages ghi of Workbook. Next to each day is a space for you/the student to write in the date that it was done.

At the beginning of each new concept that's taught, there are notes to explain the key words to emphasize in the upcoming lessons, and some ideas for how to help the child understand that new concept.

I've found them helpful because not only can my child work independently with these lesson plans, but there's no guessing as to how long the lesson should go. If my child is getting the concept easily, she may do two or three lessons a day.

Well that's aggravating. I was going to purchase them until someone over there told me not to let the title mislead me b/c it was NOT actual daily plans but suggestions for how to teach lessons and such...but not a schedule. Oh well...now I've just got the HIG and it helps.