Menu

What brand of elderberry extract is best? Sambucol? or

It doesn't really matter. Dr. Donner/Dunner (can't remember), Sambucol....lots of them are fabulous.

Make sure everyone is taking 1000 IU Vitamin D3 per 25 lbs body weight....*everyone*. It's your best defense against the flu. We like Carlson Ddrops....the 2000 IU per drop version.

Katherine

I hate to start this controversy again, but many experts are recommending caution with the use of elderberry products and the swine flu. Apparently the way elderberry works is to increase cytokine production. Unfortunately, the way swine flu kills is with what is called a "cytokine storm", or massive release of cytokines that overwhelm the body. So with this particular flu, some are saying that you definitely DON'T want to increase cytokine production. There are other herbal products you can use that do not increase the body's cytokine response.

I have also read that elderberry products are fine if you take them early to avoid this flu, but the problem comes with taking them if you are already sick.

I have seen much information on both sides, just be sure to check that any pro-elderberry info you are reading was written to include updated info about swine flu, not just the "regular" flu.