Menu

Apologia Zoology 3 - has anyone bought a turtle or lizard?

WaterLily

When I was skimming through the supplies we'd need for the rest of the book (we started it last year), I was surprised to see "a turtle to raise" and "a lizard to raise"! Of course I realize that this is purely optional, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has attempted this. My 8 yo has a birthday next month and I thought about getting him a pet for his birthday - a hamster maybe? Then I saw this in the book and wondered if we should do a lizard or turtle. He loves lizards but I'm wondering how much work it would be. We've done hamsters so I know what's involved there.

We have anole lizards and feed them live crickets too. You have to feed the crickets as well, so they don't die before the lizard gets around to eating them - they'll only eat live crickets, not dead - but a jar of cricket food was not very expensive and lasts forever. It's kind of like jello cut into little cubes.

I don't think it's gross. There's no gore, if that's what you are wondering. They just wander around and then **zip** they are gone. The kids love trying to catch the lizard eating. I am not allowed to feed the lizards unless they are there to watch. It's more of a pain having to regularly get live crickets, in my opinion, but the kids do enjoy it.

If you are thinking of a lizard-type reptile, please, please look at this site, whose author is an authority in the field of reptile care.

http://www.anapsid.org/

Leopard gecko is a great beginner reptile. (We have anoles ourselves.) You should be aware that reptile habitats are not inexpensive -- they need space, special UVB reptile bulbs for light and something for heat. Our favorite online store has a fantastic collection, great prices -- and they will answer email questions about care. If you are making a nice habitat (with artificial plants, accessories, etc as well as the heating and lighting), think of spending more -- maybe way more -- than $100. (I'm presuming that you want to teach your dc about care and respect for living creatures.)

http://www.reptilesupply.com

Other things to think about:

-- is there a pet store near you with a regular supply of crickets (for the reptiles that eat live prey)? We get ours about once a week and keep them in a cricket keeper, feed them cricket food (so the lizards have gut loaded crickets to eat) & a slice of potato or other veggie for moisture. Some people do breed crickets, but they smell.

-- do you want a pet that can be handled? Some lizard species are OK with this, while for others it would be very stressful.

-- how big will the pet grow? Iguana, for example, can grow to 5 ft and are the most common reptile at reptile rescue organizations.

Agreeing with kids126s -- the crickets are not gross. They are small and light beige, more benign looking than outdoor crickets. We feed from a dish because our habitat is so full of plants. Our anoles turn bright green when they see the dish coming!

Edited by Alessandra

we dont have lizards but we do have snakes. snakes are very easy to care for, require feeding only once a week(can feed frozen or live ) Im not much into lizards but I enjoy my pet snake and the kids are learning more about cold blooded animals. we've only had them for a few weeks.

btw... we have Ball pythons. Very NON aggressive snake...easily handled...dont move as fast as some of the small ones and it gets only up to 5-6feet long...not 20!!!!

:bigear:

We've had both lizards and turtles. Turtle wins hands down for being the easiest pet ever. It's especially nice because you can buy food pellets for them instead of live crickets.

Lizards are pretty easy, too, but the live food thing is a problem. You have to keep going to the pet store to buy smelly crickets (yes, they smell). We tried catching our own (very fun, but very hard to do and impossible in the winter) and raising our own (did I mention the smell?)

We once owned a gecko which ate lettuce and spinach and (his favorite) flower petals. That was convenient, but he had a nasty temperment that never really improved.

hth!