Menu

AAS question- frustrated

Penelope

My oldest is now in second grade. He reads at grade 5+ level, probably higher but I think grade 4-5 is about the comprehension level for his independent reading and interest level.

We are mid-way through AAS2 and I don't know whether I should continue with it. I'm getting frustrated, because he is doing a lot more writing, but his spelling is not so good. He has beenwriting out his own narrations (the ones we do aside from WWE) even when I tell him I will write it for him to copy. He also likes to write stories, lists, etc. I wonder if writing a lot with bad spelling is just reinforcing the misspelled words in his mind. I am looking for some confirmation of, or reassurance about this.

The main issue I have had with AAS is that it takes so long to get to the rules/phonograms for some of the most commonly used words. Words that he misspells include they (thay), were (where), once (wuns), could/would/should (usually spells using oo), there/their, and lots of similar examples I can't think of right now. He has seenthese words in copywork before, so that doesn't seem to help. I do think he benefits from AAS, as he has internalized most of what we have covered so far.

***So, my question: Those that use AAS or other step-wise phonics-based spelling-how do you approach the more common words with the trickier rules? I tried to teach him some of these words as sight words by using copywork--but they don't seem to stick. The next day, or next week, he will spell it wrong again. Which is why I'm concerned that things are getting stuck in his head the wrong way. :confused: He is very auditory so maybe I will try the method mentioned in another thread around here. But I was wondering what others here do if they have kids who struggle with spelling. I have trouble with the concept of phonics-based spelling, because at some level you still have to know visually which letter combinations to use. and rules don't always help. DH was taught phonics-based spelling, and he is a poor speller. I learned phonics at age 33 and I was a good speller. :confused: Ack! So confusing.

I wonder if writing a lot with bad spelling is just reinforcing the misspelled words in his mind. I am looking for some confirmation of, or reassurance about this.

Seriously don't worry about it. Just trust the program and move forward. If it's working for the things you *have* done, you will get there with the rest. You will you will:) It is a most exceptionally solid program.

Even using another program you'd run into the same thing. Everything can't be taught at once....there will still be something being spelled wrong while that word/family is in the que waiting to be taught.

:)

K

Time is on your side!

Really, there are very few 2nd graders (even the good readers -- like your son) who can spell most words correctly most of the time. I taught 2nd grade for 5 years, so I've known a lot of 2nd grade spellers, and yours sounds as if he's doing fine.

Just keep plugging away, gently correcting his mistakes. I agree with a previous poster that you'd have the same 'problem' with any spelling program, so I certainly wouldn't suggest changing programs.

Have you contacted the AAS folks with your question? We use AAS (I'm very pleased with it), and I have found lots of helpful, encouraging information on their site.

What if you make a list of those frequently mis-spelled words for him to look at as he writes and continue on with AAS. You will eventually reach those words. Then he will get the rules to go with them. In the mean time, he will have the correct spelling in front of him.

What if you make a list of those frequently mis-spelled words for him to look at as he writes and continue on with AAS. You will eventually reach those words. Then he will get the rules to go with them. In the mean time, he will have the correct spelling in front of him.

:iagree:This is what I was going to suggest and then post the list where he writes so he can just glance up and see how the words are spelled.

While doing AAS I note all mispelled words in a notebook & we review these words once a week.

My 7 yr likes to write stories too but has a lot of misspelled words. I added all these words to my list. These are words that we have not covered yet. I noticed that the same words were mispelled on a regular basis. Since we started reviewing them, her stories have lesser misspelling.

I too would expect a beginning 2nd grader to have lots of spelling errors (and I also don't hold my kids accountable for words they haven't yet studied, unless they have studied the rules, then we work it through). But some things you CAN do, if you are very frustrated with waiting:

Make the words with tiles.

Tell him they are exceptions or that you haven't gotten to the rules yet, but they are so common, you are going to learn them.

Circle the tricky part. (ie, point out the silent L in should/would/could, or the ey in they, etc...). Have him color the circle in yellow.

Have him close his eyes & visualize, or trace the letters with his finger.

Use some of the tactile ideas from the website.

Write those words on index cards (cut to size) and put them in his daily review box. If he "masters" them but they show up wrong in his writing, pull them back into his review box.

I don't generally have 2nd graders do a lot of revising (I don't want to bog them down and get them to thinking writing is too much work--my main goal at this age is to preserve a love of writing). However, if you are going to have him revise something, separate it from the writing process. Ask him if he can find anything to correct, and praise for every single error he finds and praise again if he is able to correct it. Don't worry yet about the things he doesn't find.

For a lot of kids, spelling and writing doesn't even begin to come together until upper elementary or Jr. High age. Think about all they have to think about at ONE TIME in order to write:

-how to form letters

-letter spacing

-writing neatly

-when capitals are needed (oh, how to form the capitals)

-punctuation

-grammar

-spelling, including what letters and letter combos stand for what sounds, when there are exceptions and when those exceptions apply, segmenting etc...

-AND come up with original ideas all at the same time.

I like to separate these skills--with writing, I focus on the ideas. With dictation, I can focus on spelling and mechanics if they are ready for that--if not, we work on those one at a time. Break it down as far as you need to (I've done dictation exercises where I wrote it out & left off the punctuation & they filled that in).

Your 2nd grader is a baby writer. Think about a baby learning to talk--they say something like bakie for blanket, and we think it's cute. Baby writers are cute too :). Expect all kinds of mistakes, and don't expect him to be able to put it all together yet.

Merry :-)

Whew! I feel better. Thank you to everyone who replied.

I have posted some of the words. He gets so engrossed he forgets to look at them, I guess. He does try very hard. I don't want to discourage him so I usually only choose misspelled words using rules we have already covered, to correct, and then work on the other words separately.

Thank you for al of the good ideas and encouragement. :)

Especially this:

Your 2nd grader is a baby writer. Think about a baby learning to talk--they say something like bakie for blanket, and we think it's cute. Baby writers are cute too :). Expect all kinds of mistakes, and don't expect him to be able to put it all together yet.

Merry :-)

This made me smile. I want to enjoy this time with my still-sometimes-cuddly second grader and not be stressed over skills. This really helped. :)