Menu

Georgia homeschoolers -- do any of you have high schoolers who participate in...

...extracurricular clubs at your local public high school?

I know the director of the local high school's choir and theater, so I asked her about the possibility of having EK participate in the school choir and/or theater (she loves to sing and act). The director checked with the school officials and later told me "it's against GHSA rules". Have any of you Georgia people been told this also?

I've been pondering this, and I can understand that it would against GHSA rules for students not enrolled in the school to participate on the school's competitive teams, especially sports teams. I can even understand about not allowing homeschool students to take part in band and chorus, since these are actually courses for which students attend class and receive grades (and they have regional/state competitions for these). And theater -- I also understand that homeschoolers would not be allowed take part in the regional & state one-act play competitions.

But why would a homeschooled student not be able to participate in the school's dramatic productions? Rehearsals take place after school, there is no competition involved, and the school sells tickets to the general public. I know firsthand that sometimes non-students (usually parents of students) are involved in these productions, from building sets and sewing costumes to selling tickets and even acting in some of the productions. We pay our local taxes just as they do!

I'm puzzled, and I'm just trying to decide whether I want to fight this out with the school board.

Edited by ereks mom

Not in Georgia, but do know this is pretty common in many states. Here in Fl, it is an actual LAW that HS'ers ARE allowed to participate in extracurricular activities, and some schools even let HS'ers take classes (more common in High school). But my point is, if it wasn't the law, there's no way the schools would let that happen. Sometimes, HS'ers have to fight they way in still, by educating the schools on the law.

I am guessing your situation, and the school's response, has to do with liabilities, etc. Regardless if it is a class, or extracurricular, the students are still on campus, being led by a paid employee of the school.

I'm in Washington state and we live in a good school district. I don't know if every school district in our state is the same as ours, but here I will be able to put my kids on any teams sport at the public school. My dd is still in public school (it's my boys I'm homeschooling. I hope to bring her home by middle school) My dd says there is a boy who is a homeschooler, but joins her class for gym class.

I would consider fighting that answer. It's true, you do pay your taxes, too.