Menu

APD help needed

HeidiD

My son was just diagnosed with APD, and the tests showed a problem with integration (each ear functions well separately, but together things get jumbled).

Are there any proven therapies or treatments that might help? Would speech therapy be useful? The audiologist recommended reading "When the Brain Can't Hear" as a starting point so I'll definitely read that. Are there any other books or programs I should look into? Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Therapeutic Listening Program might help. Take a copy of your audiologist's report to an occupational therapist and ask for an OT evaluation. An OT administers the program and monitors progress even though it is done at home. My kids' insurance is paying for it because it's part of their overall OT plan.

ETA: Two of my kids have binaural integration dysfunction. The youngest one also has other types of APD.

Edited by LizzyBee

I think you can use Fastforward at home, there are many versions, make sure you get the one for integration, I am not sure they all work that area.

Braingym rings a bell, I think an OT works w/that.

brainskills.com. is another one. I just dealt w/this w/ my dn's school district for her IEP. Since they did not carry anything acceptable for her APD, I gave them the choice between The LIstening program and/or brainskills. They chose the listening program, this will be dn's first yr. w/it and she is 21. It was a hard fight, because the older they get the harder it is to get therapy or accomodations. My dn also has problems w/binaural integration, I think that is common w/APD. Fortunately they have new research re:neuroplasticity which helps prove the brain can be retrained and these kids are not helpless or hopeless.

HTH,

JET

Thanks, everyone for the responses.

My dn also has problems w/binaural integration, I think that is common w/APD. Fortunately they have new research re:neuroplasticity which helps prove the brain can be retrained and these kids are not helpless or hopeless.

Is "binaural integration" the technical term for the ears being out of sync with one another? I've been googling for info but unsure of exactly what I'm looking for. I won't have a report for at least a couple of weeks, but the audiologist mentioned this particular problem as being paramount.

It's encouraging that neuroplasticity might make improvement possible in this area - I've seen amazing improvements with his reading that I wouldn't have believed possible when we started (thanks to LiPS & Wilson programs!) so I hope that maybe his auditory processing can also be further developed to some degree. Another mountain to climb....:tongue_smilie:

Is "binaural integration" the technical term for the ears being out of sync with one another?

Yes, except I'd say it's the two sides of the brain being out of sync rather than the ears, since with APD, the dysfunction is occurring in the brain rather than the ears.

Lizzybee is so right. It really has nothing to do w/hearing. Matter of fact, dn has perfect hearing.

It is when one hemisphere does not connect w/the other. Like a gap. For example if I tell my dn, to "Feed the dog", if it is not written or she did not explain what I said, she probably heard feed the hog, wash the cog..

The book by Bellis will help explain it much better.