Menu

Spelling Decisions~

Blueridge

Greetings! I haven't had much success with workbooks these past few years, so I'm trying something new. I am still debating between Spelling Power and Sequential Spelling for my 2 daughters. I own both and don't really have a preference. So, what are your thoughts about one or the other...or are they both stinky? :D Thanks in advance~

Loved what I've seen of Spelling Power. It was developed by a homeschooling mom (with credentials) to help her child improve in spelling. It's pricey, but can teach spelling all the way from 3rd-high school. The games are fun, the lessons are short and quick, and there are a ton of recommendations out there.

I am choosing Spelling Workout, but my dd did a few lessons in Spelling Power and really enjoyed them.

Guest deb_holm

I started both my boys with Spelling Workout. My oldest did not really learn much with it. Next I tried Phonetic Zoo with him, again didn't have much success (he took forever to master a lesson). Now that he's using Sequential Spelling I can see improvement. Of course he's older now so it could have just been a maturity issue with the others.

My younger son had better success with spelling workout but I switched him to Phonetic Zoon and he's done well with it. So I like both programs. I like Phonetic Zoo because it has the auditory component - great for auditory learners and I like the rhymes that help kids remember tricky words and rules. On the other hand I like the repetition and focus on families of words in sequential spelling :-)

Debbie in SK

Canada