Menu

Q. about "math facts" and "reading facts"/please help

I'm well educated, but I'm not sure I know what people mean when they say "math facts" and "reading facts".

For example, in TWTM Susan or Jessie writes, "explain that in the word 'fate,' the 'e' makes the 'a' say it's name."

I was like "fantastic! I found a fact!!"

Where are the rest of these rules/facts? Is there a list of them somewhere? I hope, I hope!

Thank you!!

Alley

Math facts

0-10, plus minus times and divide

Orally first,

then

Each sheet in "Garlic Press" "Basic Facts package" with the pencil in under 5 minutes.

There are ten sheets each operation

0-10 addition

0-10 multiplicaion

0-10 subtraction

0-10 division.

We do Addition first, then multiplication.

Those are all the fact....kind of...

because subtraction and division are just the first ones...backwards.

But we do the Subtraction and Division, just 3rd and 4th

And then run through all the sheets again just for good measure, under 5 minutes, every page, with the pencil.

Then the student "knows" their math facts.

We do math facts only for math, until they are all learned as above, then start the students right into Saxon Math 54 at whatever age. Usually about age 7

:seeya:

For example, in TWTM Susan or Jessie writes, "explain that in the word 'fate,' the 'e' makes the 'a' say it's name."

I was like "fantastic! I found a fact!!"

My suggestion is that you substitute the word "generalization" for the word "fact" when you're talking about pronouncing and spelling words in the English language.

My suggestion is that you substitute the word "generalization" for the word "fact" when you're talking about pronouncing and spelling words in the English language.

Overall, you're right, generalization is a better word.

I'm sure there is some strange word out there, but you can almost have a fact for aw, but here's a way to phrase it as a fact for sure:

"For 100% of the most common 17,000 words in English with the letters aw, aw is pronounced au as in saw."

ch and ng are the only other letter combinations that are 100%. The letters ph are listed as 100%, but there are a few compound words where ph does not say f, for example, shepherd."

Thanks everyone!! I'll be honest -- and I love Perry -- but when I look at the English generalizations that she linked to I think, "that all just confuses me." And I'm a writer. I got A's in Shakespeare in college.

Maybe a few of those for 6 year olds, but I can't imagine that they could internalize each and and every "fact."

My concern is that it's like telling someone how to eat watermelon, "pick up melon. Wash it. Slice it into quarters. Then into smaller pieces. Lift to mouth. Spit out each seed as it presents itself in mouth. Continue to eat. When you're done, walk to trash can, throw rind into it. Close lid."

Okay, tell me why I'm completely wrong.

Alley

Thanks everyone!! I'll be honest -- and I love Perry -- but when I look at the English generalizations that she linked to I think, "that all just confuses me." And I'm a writer. I got A's in Shakespeare in college.

Maybe a few of those for 6 year olds, but I can't imagine that they could internalize each and and every "fact."

My concern is that it's like telling someone how to eat watermelon, "pick up melon. Wash it. Slice it into quarters. Then into smaller pieces. Lift to mouth. Spit out each seed as it presents itself in mouth. Continue to eat. When you're done, walk to trash can, throw rind into it. Close lid."

Okay, tell me why I'm completely wrong.

Alley

You're not wrong. I don't teach spelling rules. ;)