Menu

BJU math similar to Singapore?

Wildwood

Yeah, I wouldn't have said Singapore is similar to BJU. That's too much of a stretch. BJU is similar to RS in some ways (how they approach concepts, coverage of ALL the topics in a standard math curriculum), and RS is similar to Singapore (very similar conceptually, different in how they implement). But I wouldn't leap to say BJU is similar to Singapore. Of course I haven't seen the new Standards version.

BJU is teacher-driven, fun, colorful, and employs a variety of modalities. It will have stories for your Sociable Sue learner. It has hands-on things for kinesthetic learners. It has auditory practice and is good for visual learners too. It might not come across as brainy as Singapore or RS, but it's really good for a mom who needs to appeal to a broad variety of kids or a dc who especially needs those fun elements.

Why do you ask? You'll always find another math curriculum, and they all have something appealing. They're also all pretty good, if I say so. I mean there are very few commonly used around here that are a flop, substandard, or going to mess your kid up. It's more about implementation, what YOU can comfortably teach, and fitting the quirks of your particular dc. For us, getting more visual, more color, more fun elements, more stories, and less ME was a huge deal. We had to change from what might have been a better curriculum theoretically (RS) to a curriculum that was better for us functionally. Any of these curricula, if implemented faithfully and with enough attention to drill, can get your dc to where they need to be, honest.