Menu

AAS and Phonics Road...redundant?

Sue G in PA

So, I'm now pretty sold on Phonics Road. This week anyway. :glare: I think I really do have bipolar curriculum disorder. :) Anyhoo...I really, really like what I see, what I've read about PR. It makes sense to me. I have AAS Level One and Two. I like the aspect of the letter tiles for ds6 b/c he is so hands on and manipulative driven, kwim? Would using AAS with Phonics Road be too redundant? Tina...I know I already asked you this in a PM but I'm simply looking for more views, kwim? Thanks everyone for being patient w/ my curriculum neurosis.

Hi Sue,

I have both programs and yes, I sort of feel they would be redundant. I actually went over the Phonics Road scope and sequence and the AAS scope and sequence today and compared and they are very similiar.

But TPR goes a bit faster and introduces phonograms in a different order. For example, "ee" is introduced in TPR in week 4, but I don't think it is introduced in AAS until level 3 (or maybe that was "ea" - it was one of those) I know the draw for AAS is the tiles, but TPR also offers the opportunity for "manipulatives" or "tiles" which are just letter cards that you can affix magnets to the bag of if you want (or just lay them on the table). The Phonics Road author explains this kinesthetic element in DVD disc 1.

TPR actually is a more comprehensive program - covers handwriting, uses rule tunes, has "reference sheets" for students to log their rules on, etc. She also uses "coding" of the letters with small numbers and lines to underline vowel and consonant teams (where in AAS the teams are on one tile and not underlined (but you could underline them if you wish when writing the words) It is more intensive - like SWR or WRTR would be, but only much more user friendly - as far as to what depth and format they teach in.

Now because it is more comprehensive, it will require a larger investment of your time as far as watching the DVDs and studying it (but it's very straightforward once you invest that little time prepping with the DVD's). AAS is more OPEN AND GO.

Of course both programs are excellent - it just depends on what you want them for - I think AAS is a great supplement to a handwriting and phonics/reading program (although some people use AAS to teach reading, the program is just set up differently in that respect when compared to TPR) Where TPR covers all your bases (IMO).

That being said, I am moving to AAS (along with Blend Phonics and then PP) b/c The Phonics Road had too much writing for my DS, and he is ready for more reading and not so focused on spelling. By using AAS instead, I can just add that to our phonics curriculum for her only.

I think in another year, DS would LOVE TPR - But for now, the writing is just out of the question (he is a late April baby, so he's only been 5 for 4 months)

So I would not see the need for both, personally.

NOT trying to sell you on TPR ;) Just noting the differences I saw and what made me choose one over the other. They are both excellent, but yes, they would be redundant IMHO.

Edited by kindermommy

I used AAS and am now using The Phonics Road. I sold my AAS but kept the letter tiles thinking they may come in useful for my younger two when the time is right. So that could be a possibility for you. I really do love both programs, and I do also think using them together would be redundant. The reason I chose The Phonics Road is because it is, hands down, the most comprehensive program I've seen in regards to phonics/reading instruction. I've always thought other programs stopped somewhere short of complete, except maybe for Webster's Speller. I'm so excited to get to levels 3 and 4. We are accelerating through 1 and 2 right now. It has been a smooth ride, so far, for this family.

Sue,

I'm so glad some others are speaking up in agreement with me. I was talking to my friend and I told her people on this forum might start suspecting I was a salesperson for real b/c I have talked about PR so much lately. :001_smile: It makes me so happy that so many people are using this wonderful program. I know it really made a difference for us:)