Menu

Looking for stamp of approval: 2nd Grade Schedule

Here's what's cookin' for DS for fall:

Bible: lots of stuff is covered in Sunday School, AWANA, talks with mom, and BiblioPlan...I am kind of looking for a good devotional for him to read each day

Character: Lessons in Responsibility for Boys by Pearables, Cub Scouts, perhaps work on a particular "habit" each month

Math: CLE

Language Arts: CLE

Reading: CLE, doing the lightunits orally in a conversational style

History: BiblioPlan -- Ancient Rome, then start Medieval, Renaissance, & Reformation/SOTW AG, narrations, add key events to our timeline

Science: R.E.A.L. Science Earth & Space

Literature: Compiled Booklists (child would read non-stop if allowed!): lots of books about current history and science topics as well as classics and reading for fun

Latin: Minimus (will tie in well with study of ancient Rome, I think)

Art: picture study, focus on one composer each term, do I want something else a little more "crafty" or instructional for him as well?

Music: Themes to Remember, piano lessons, focus on one composer each term

PE: Homeschool PE at local salvation army citadel, stretching each day, outdoor play as often as we can get it

Logic: quick brainteaser games, puzzles, etc. to get the brain awake in the morning

We also take lots of nature walks/hikes and draw/photograph neat things we find.

What am I forgetting here? It seems like a lot when typed out, but we get done quite quickly. We are also going to be using workboxes, so I'm going to try to mix all these things up a bit with extra "fun" ideas.

I am very confused as to what to do for writing at this point. I am reading WWE hardback, so maybe that will clear things up for me. If he is doing a history narration 3x a week and doing copywork (I don't know how many times a week) is that enough?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Bible: lots of stuff is covered in Sunday School, AWANA, talks with mom, and BiblioPlan...I am kind of looking for a good devotional for him to read each day

Art: picture study, focus on one composer each term, do I want something else a little more "crafty" or instructional for him as well

Take a look at The Adventure Bible Devotions book:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=714480&item_code=WW&netp_id=524377&event=ESRCN&view=covers

We like it so far :)

We are using How to Teach Art to Children

http://www.amazon.com/How-Teach-Art-Children-Grades/dp/1557998116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250373166&sr=8-1

and supplementing with Teaching Art with Books Kids Love

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Books-Kids-Love-Award-Winning/dp/1555914063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250364954&sr=8-1

It covers the basic elements of art such as line, shape, etc

I also love this blog:

http://www.artprojectsforkids.org/

Hey Melissa,

What I would suggest for a devotional is what I use for my older daughter: Making Time for God: Daily Devotions for Children and Families to Share by Susan R. Garrett. This book is excellent because it can really start up conversations on how that particular devotion or situation can be applied in day to day life.

It also give me something to contemplate about besides my quiet time alone. And comes in handy on those days I might have missed my quiet time.

As for writing... I see you've say you're doing Awanas. What we do over here to have the memory verse stick is use it as our focus for writing, four days. So they (my three bunnies:8,6 and 5) write the verse and work on proper formations of letters whether script or print. It helps them to remember and I get them to work on the writing.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Testimony, for the seal of approval! :D

Great suggestions, kindermommy and afeminame. I have looked at several of those options and just can't seem to make up my mind! :tongue_smilie: I do have Drawing with Children, but I just can't wrap my head around how to use it. :confused:

Thanks, ladies! Any other thoughts?

I am kind of looking for a good devotional for him to read each day

I am very confused as to what to do for writing at this point. I am reading WWE hardback, so maybe that will clear things up for me. If he is doing a history narration 3x a week and doing copywork (I don't know how many times a week) is that enough?

Bible: my suggestion would be to get him a really nicely written children's Bible, just so he can enjoy reading and getting familiar with the stories. I like Golden Children's Bible.

WWE: I would let WWE guide the week's writing. You can incorporate your literature, science, and history reading into WWE and get all the writing practice you need, without worrying about "should we do extra writing?" or "how many history narrations?" WWE encompasses it all and simplifies the plan for the week.

Are you thinking that I should do the WWE workbook or just "do my own" based on the hardback?

Oh, that I don't know! You'd have to figure out which you liked better - some don't mind doing it "on their own" with the hardback for guidance at each section of each level, and some prefer the workbook which apparently has all the reading selections picked out for you.

I just meant that WWE can be used in general to incorporate ALL your writing for the week - that way you don't have to try and figure out how to stuff 2 history narrations, 2 science narrations, 2 literature narrations in....you can pick and choose which subjects to use each week, as long as you use the writing pattern that WWE lays out for that week. So, if it says to have your child narrate from something, you pick history, science, or literature. IOW, the goal isn't to do a certain amount of narrations in every subject every week - the goal is to practice certain writing skills, using whatever subject you want. And WWE tells you how to teach those skills and offers suggestions (hardback) on how to alternate subjects.

hth