Menu

Need some lit suggestions for Ancients for 3rd grader

Karie

I love this site for historical book suggestions:

http://www.abookintime.com/

Our favorite for Rome was Tiger, Tiger by Lynne Reid Banks. I have to warn, though, that the parts about the battles in the Colosseum are pretty graphic. My girls were in second grade when we read this book, and I kept stopping to ask if it was bothering them, but they were fine.

The Tales from the Odyssey (Greece) books by Mary Pope Osborne are great. There are 6 in that series.

We haven't read The Golden Goblet (Egypt), but a friend of mine read it aloud last year to her 5th and 2cnd grader, and they all really liked it.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120759

here is a link to a thread asking for first grade suggestions. i think it would still apply to 3rd grade because the child would probably just be a bit more independent. i am partial to my suggestions of course!

We also loved the Mary Pope Osborne Tales From the Odyssey series. We read them, not the books on tape and it wasn't too too time consuming. But I am sure the tapes would be fine. here it is:

We also liked Usbourne Stories from Around the World, 100 Things You Should Know About Ancient Egypt, God's People: Stories from the Old Testament, all the Jim Wise CDs, we liked Greek Myths for Young Children by Marcia Williams better than D'Aulaire's. I bought Aesop's by Milo Winter and dd listens to the tape with a book to follow along over and over.

DD liked the African stories like Anansi the SPider, but I wouldn't buy those..library would do.

We are Christians and I liked the Jean Marzollo and Brian Wildsmith books so much that I bought several of those. They cover stories like Moses, Ruth, Joseph etc.