Menu

A few days into the first week (Home2Teach)

I just wanted to put up an update since we've actually STARTED the class. There were a few things to do to get ready for the class. All were acceptable in organization. This week was the first for getting down to business though.

Tyler has work assigned for each day. He turns it in, the teacher gives detailed information by which he is to make edits and then he turns it back in. He does this as much as he needs to in order to master the point of the assignment. On one lesson, he had only a slight procedural correction. On another lesson, he turned in the work 3 times before getting a "done" email.

I wish the classes were done with Eluminate or something like that rather than in a typing based chat room type room. However, the class was very interactive and the way it was done encouraged participation (required). His instructor had no discipline issues either which was nice (I know this says plenty about the students, but I also believe it speaks about her control of the class).

When I read through the class, I was worried about a certain mistake a couple students were making (my son being the worst about it) and that it was being ignored. I realize they can't nitpick everything, but this seemed grievous to me. However, I should have waited! The teacher DID address it. One thing at a time. And THIS is the reason I outsourced this class. My son NEEDS someone who knows just when to address an issue.

The ONLY thing I would do differently was that on one part of one assignment, I would have made the student do an alternate exercise to prove he "got it."

So though I was worried based on a couple other threads, I'm feeling pretty good about it so far.

HTHs,

He is taking Fundamentals I first. Some aspects of his writing is really good but he has some significant gaps. We had to send in a writing sample (no spell check or grammar check; no mom input; no helping/editing) and they felt he'd do well to take the Fund I class first. I agree.

BTW, though the class says it's for 9+ years old, they said that the average boy taking it is 13. And the class Tyler is in IS mostly boys (there is one girl and then there is one child with a unisex name).

Hi Pamela,

I'm glad to hear it! My oldest started with Home2Teach this week also and had her first class today with Mrs. Keables. She is also taking Fundamentals 1. I am very pleased with how the first class went! I must say that after reading the other threads that I was very nervous that I had already paid for this class, but dd enjoyed it thoroughly and I appreciate how attentive her teacher was. I know it is only one class, but it went great! I'm glad your son enjoyed his too!

Tyler has work assigned for each day. He turns it in, the teacher gives detailed information by which he is to make edits and then he turns it back in. He does this as much as he needs to in order to master the point of the assignment.

I wanted to give another update as I know there were people interested in outsourcing writing and there were concerns about this particular class.

I tell you what. Tyler LOVES this class. I NEVER thought I'd say that about a writing class, but he does. He was excited about "going to class." Each day he awaits his teacher's feedback. He doesn't complain AT ALL when she has him do edits, even if she has him do so a few times! The feedback on today's work was EXTENSIVE. She couched it carefully and she gave him specific feedback and hints. But she asked for him to step it up as reasonable for him.

Anyway, I am SO impressed and pleased.

Hope this helps someone trying to make a decision.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Pamela,

I'm glad to hear it! My oldest started with Home2Teach this week also and had her first class today with Mrs. Keables. She is also taking Fundamentals 1. I am very pleased with how the first class went! I must say that after reading the other threads that I was very nervous that I had already paid for this class, but dd enjoyed it thoroughly and I appreciate how attentive her teacher was. I know it is only one class, but it went great! I'm glad your son enjoyed his too!

My dd is in mrs. keables' fundamentals 1 as well.

Sebastian,

The class DOES happen in real time, but there are several options. And it's once per week. All the rest of the work is done on your own time as long as it's done by the due date (though ideally the date it's assigned).

Here is the schedule: http://home2teach.com/schedule.html#Schedule

NOTE: times are PST.

Sebastian,

The class DOES happen in real time, but there are several options. And it's once per week. All the rest of the work is done on your own time as long as it's done by the due date (though ideally the date it's assigned).

Here is the schedule: http://home2teach.com/schedule.html#Schedule

NOTE: times are PST.

Bummer, 8-10 am PST is 2-4 am for us (and Tuesday morning PST is Wed, but that would only be confusing for us). Maybe in a couple of years we'll be somewhere where this would line up better.