Menu

We just paid our house off!

CONGRATULATIONS, DAWN!!! That's wonderful!

Now, how did you do it so quickly - the last time you wrote about this it was going to be next year sometime. What happened?????

I did read the Dave Ramsey books, and they did inspire us. My husband has lived here for 21 years, so really the house was paid off 9 years earlier than the original 30 year mortgage. We refinanced to a 10 year mortgage in 2004 but paid off the remaining in 5 years. Housing was pretty low when my husband bought it in the 80's.

We started by putting an extra $100 a month on it. Our mortgage was rather low anyway (a little over $600), and it is a small house (1,100 sq ft). As time progressed, and as we paid other things off (including the van), we took whatever we had been paying on _________ and put it on the house.

We have put off our Disney vacation several times and have truly just learned to be content in a small house. Most people would have upgraded at least once, and we have been tempted to do so, but my husband is 50 now, and I honestly don't want to burden him with a mortgage when he is in his 60's. We tried not to increase our standard of living as our income increased.

Thanks all!