Menu

question about netbooks and video streaming

mom2hunangirls

I'm thinking of getting dd a netbook for her to play her educational games and watch her streaming videos (like United Streaming). I'm pretty sure I'm safe with all her on-line games as she's still young and not into any of the high-tech ones. But I can't find on-line how to know if they are capable (enough power or whatever...video card something or other) of streaming.

And if you have one you like for this same purpose I'm open to hearing which model you have. :)

thanks!

You can definitely find a netbook that can handle internet video streaming.

Your internet speed is going to be affected by both your internet provider and the processing speed of the netbook (just like other pcs, netbooks vary in processing speed). Those are your main concerns; if you cover those, you'll likely cover most of the other aspects as well (ie, if your netbook has a decent processing speed, it's also likely to have a decent video card).

I have an HP Atom 270 with a 3.1gh processor; it streams video fine (broadband access). Paid $329 about a month ago. Under the $300 price, you tend to lose both processing speed and screen size.

I would want to "try before I buy" for video purposes - - 9 or 10 inches is fairly small, and if that's the main purpose, you really need to make sure it's workable. Either borrow one, or head out to Best Buy when they're not likely to be busy.

We do love our netbook, and the keyboard is just the right size for the kids.

edited to add that a google search will bring up some choices; just search something like "netbook for video streaming"