Menu

Buying new carpet. I have questions.

First, I'd much prefer wood. Not going to happen, so please don't try to make me feel guilty about the carpet. Thank you. :D

I want a nylon frieze. Everything I've read online leads me to believe that nylon is superior to polyester. So why was the guy at Lowe's so insistent that polyester is better? Do they make more money by selling certain brands or something? Nylon is more expensive so it doesn't make sense. He was downright pushy about it.

If you have frieze, do you have problems vacuuming it? I had something all picked out and then my neighbor friend told me a horror story about her friend who had her entire house carpeted and then was unable to find a vacuum that would work on it. Apparently it was so thick the beater brush catches and it was an enormous workout everytime she tried to vacuum. She eventually had to rip it all out and have it replaced. I've found similar stories online.

I brought home a few samples and one is clearly more difficult to push my Dyson over than the others (and of course it's my favorite). But it's just a 2x3 foot piece, so it's really hard to know what a whole room would be like.

How did you pick the color? I want tan/beige neutral with flecks, but there are about 15 swatches that are very similar to each other. I can't visualize how they will look in the room. This is why we didn't replace the awful, cheap, ugly carpet when we moved in here 7 years ago. I am terrible at making decisions!

I dunno, but I learned the HARD WAY that carpet is LIGHTER installed than what it looks like on the sample. It's the opposite of what paint does--look darker on the wall.

I thought I had a nice neutral beige and I almost died when I saw it installed--it looked almost white! And my children were only 3 and 5 at the time. I worked my behind off keeping that crazy carpet clean for the four years we lived in that house.

So, just beware. The carpet you choose will look lighter when installed.

I wish someone had warned me!

How did you pick the color?

That one's easy. What do you need to blend in with it? I picked a frieze that matches all 5 colors of Milkbone dog biscuits. :lol: It's a remnant that we are using as an area rug. It covers most of the living room. I do wish it were a tad darker. It almost matches the furniture (oops! :tongue_smilie:).

I didn't do it on purpose though, but it's a pretty good idea don't you think? Otherwise, I'd be vacuuming every time someone gave the dog a goodie. It hides husky fuzz pretty well too. :D

Are you going to carpet the whole house, or just a room or two? Because if it's just a room or two, I'd like to *highly* recommend Flor carpet tiles. We had been looking for a rug for our front foyer for years and finally found success with Flor. The carpet tiles are BEAUTIFUL, they're thin enough so that you can cut through them for floor vents and odd room sizes, and they're replaceable tile by tile if you get stains on them. We pieced pale green and pale yellow tiles together to make a large rug for our front hallway (my husband cut through one tile for a floor vent), and it's extremely attractive. The whole thing cost around $250 for a 100" x 80" rectangular area, custom-designed with just the colors we wanted.

The Flor website is http://www.flor.com, and you can often find coupons on the Internet for free shipping or a discount.