Menu

When using a phonics program like Alpha P. or P. Pathways

Susie in MS

do you wait till your child can say the words smoothly before moving on to the next lesson? My dd will sound out a word perfectly, but can only read a few smoothly, should we just keep practicing the same lesson over and over till it is perfectly mastered? Or does that happen over time as she goes through the lessons?

I never waited for them to say them completely smoothly. Once the lesson was over, I would go back and have them re-read the words that they got "stuck" on. Then move on to the other lessons. The following lesson day, however, I would have them re-read the words from the previous lesson that were particularly difficult for them.

Maybe she could practice more from Reading Pathway, the companion to Phonics Pathway, which has reading "pyramids" practice.

I can't help with your question, as I started PP after my new first grader already was reading pretty well (used Abeka first grade in K) - so I am using PP more for spelling rules now.

We use AlphaPhonics. Have you seen the program from TampaReads? I basically combine the two. Decoding is an important skill, but the next step is to commit a large number of words to memory. It takes seconds (literally) and the kid simply tries to beat his previous try.

Readers with those words or making your own books is another way to get more practice in.

We use Phonics Pathways. I purposefully take a lot of time on the beginning section with the two letter blends--ma, me, mi, mo, mu, etc. We do not go on to CVC words until reading the two-letter blends is easy. From there, my kids were able to say words smoothly without sounding them out letter by letter.