Menu

Henle Latin.....anyone use it 'as is' with no study guide?....

Tammy

The only Study Guides I've seen are basically just schedules. And since ds didn't follow it, they were no help at all.

You don't need them. Henle I tells you when to go to the Grammar and memorize something, so really it's already coordinated.

The Answer Book was more helpful.

So, are you saying that all I need is the Grammar and Answer Key? That would be great because I already have the First Year Henle book. I just looked in it when I read your post and I see that you are right. The book does tell you where to go in the grammar book.

So, I won't hurt if I did not have the guides?

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have Henle study guides by MP and MODG but I don't use them except to look at the answers. Otherwise, I use Henle by going to the next page routine. I stop if ds needs reinforcement. He also does a 5-10 minute drill on declensions and such. Very doable without guides but guides help when you need them.

So, are you saying that all I need is the Grammar and Answer Key? That would be great because I already have the First Year Henle book. I just looked in it when I read your post and I see that you are right. The book does tell you where to go in the grammar book.

So, I won't hurt if I did not have the guides?

Right.

If so....is it working? Do you think the study guide is necessary?

I found it necessary at first, but I'm starting to get the "hang" of how to use Henle (we're at the beginning of book 1). You basically make memory cards: vocab (which I sort and colour-code into parts of speech), grammar forms, rules, and prayers/songs. Do memory work every day until something is mastered, then relegate to to less often, letting newer material take over the daily slot. Do the exercises (and I am finding that we can do Latin to English orally, as long as ds pronounces the Latin first - but English to Latin should be done written). It seems to me it's just "memorize, exercise, translate" over and over again. And if you've done up to LC2, then the beginning of Henle is review for a long time. It's not half as hard as I thought it would be.

I taught Henle in a small group setting, and didn't use the guides except as a scheduling guideline. I didn't find, however, that Henle gave my students a good grasp of the grammatical principles involved. I felt like there would be eg. "vocabitis means you (pl) will call" rather than teaching how to get to voacabitis from vocare. YMMV. Good luck!

I didn't find, however, that Henle gave my students a good grasp of the grammatical principles involved. I felt like there would be eg. "vocabitis means you (pl) will call" rather than teaching how to get to voacabitis from vocare. YMMV. Good luck!

Uh oh, this makes me nervous. Wouldn't the student be able to figure this out from the accompanying Grammar book, though? (just getting started here, and hoping to continue Henle on our own after the MP guides run out)

Uh oh, this makes me nervous. Wouldn't the student be able to figure this out from the accompanying Grammar book, though? (just getting started here, and hoping to continue Henle on our own after the MP guides run out)

Colleen,

I hate to say this, but I found the grammar book next to useless. :) The following year, we had a class, rather than a small group, and switched to using Wheelock. It has the foundation of first principles that I consider essential. If you have other questions about using both books, I would be happy to give you what help I can. :001_smile:

Colleen,

I hate to say this, but I found the grammar book next to useless. :)

What did you find useless about it? So far I've found it to be alright, because Henle tells me when to go look up something, and then I use the rule or grammar form in there to put on a card to memorize. But we aren't very far in yet.....so what was useless about it?

I taught Henle in a small group setting, and didn't use the guides except as a scheduling guideline. I didn't find, however, that Henle gave my students a good grasp of the grammatical principles involved. I felt like there would be eg. "vocabitis means you (pl) will call" rather than teaching how to get to voacabitis from vocare. YMMV. Good luck!

Henle starts with declensions - how the nouns vary. Any verbs used in the beginning are just provided as examples. Verb conjugations are explained later.

LCI, on the other hand, started with verb conjugations and got to cases later.

What did you find useless about it? So far I've found it to be alright, because Henle tells me when to go look up something, and then I use the rule or grammar form in there to put on a card to memorize. But we aren't very far in yet.....so what was useless about it?

Just that it was hard to be constantly flipping back and forth between books, and that I didn't find that the explanations were very "user-friendly." And, FWIW, neither did the kids. I just truly don't care for the layout in the Henle, either within the book, or in the 2-book set up. I really feel that the point of learning Latin is that it is such an organized and logically designed language. By not teaching it with that in mind, I think one loses the main reason for studying it. YMMV, of course. Good luck!

Just that it was hard to be constantly flipping back and forth between books, and that I didn't find that the explanations were very "user-friendly." And, FWIW, neither did the kids. I just truly don't care for the layout in the Henle, either within the book, or in the 2-book set up. I really feel that the point of learning Latin is that it is such an organized and logically designed language. By not teaching it with that in mind, I think one loses the main reason for studying it. YMMV, of course. Good luck!

I see now, it's a preference thing. The MP guide even mentions that Henle has varying lengths of lessons, with vocab scattered, which is the reason for the MP guide, I assume - to schedule it more evenly.

Back to the OP - to manage that, I took the binding off the Henle text book and hole punched it for a binder. I also hole punched my answer key and put that in another binder. I have an old hardcover edition of the Grammar. So, while working with ds, I have two binders (I look at answer book while he does any oral exercises) and the Grammar book on the go, but it's easier because of the binders that lay out flat - he lays out the textbook binder, I lay out my answer key binder, and I hold the Grammar book in case he needs it. I keep a basket of flashcards next to me on the couch. It's a bit of a pain, but it's the system I worked out.

And having that Grammar book does help make things in the text make sense to us, so far, anyway.

Edited by Colleen in NS