Menu

Copywork, handwriting questions

woolybear

I fall more into the CM camp than classical. I am wondering if there are differences in the use/approach to copywork. Can someone explain what you believe the uses of copywork to be? Is it supposed to be for handwriting as well? I am confused because I have ready contradictory views on this. I have heard it is for grammar, spelling, punctuation but not handwriting. I have also heard it IS for handwriting. Can I manage to do all that with just copywork? I think so as long as they know how to write their letters correctly, right?

Also one last question. I recently discovered Happy Scribe and found that they have a Lord of the Rings copybook. This will be great for my older ds. I was wondering if any such thing as a Harry Potter copybook exists? I do not want to make my own copybook or even pages. I have too much to do right now! And I know it will carry more weight (be taken more seriously) if it looks more like a "real" book.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Woolybear

It teaches handwriting, grammar, punctuation, good sentence form, and spelling, from masters of English.

I haven't used or made a copybook with any of my kids. For first graders I will just write what I want them to write at the top of a page in a writing tablet. I take excerpts from their science, history, poetry or reading book. In second grade I just hand them the book and say "Write this sentence in your tablet."

I've just started homeschooling my 12 yo DS, and after thinking that I would not have him do copywork, I suddenly saw how it could benefit him. My DS has fairly severe ADHD, and in addition to helping him with his language skills and handwriting (as was mentioned in a previous post), I also saw that it could help with focus, concentration, and attention to detail. I have him do about a paragraph per day.

I do not stress the handwriting aspect of it because I imagine that my ds would end up in tears if I did that every day. As it is he really enjoys copywork and I'm content not to rock the boat.

So, do you do a separate handwriting program with him?

And completely OT (and I know I should post this elsewhere) but someone please explain to me how to do a quote and make it look pretty and maybe highlighted and .....well...not like the above.:001_smile:

Woolybear

This year (First) we're going to have copywork on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and Penmanship on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The way I see it is that Penmanship teaches about the form and shape of letters (we talk about baselines and such) and copywork includes handwriting applied combined with the benefits of composition, spelling etc.

We are using HWT to teach the proper way to form the letters. Once we have learned all the letters, I will start doing copywork to build handwriting skills as well as learn grammar, punctuation, good sentence form and spelling. So I see copywork as an extension of handwriting once they know how to form all of their letters properly. I don't like practicing handwriting just for the sake of practicing handwriting once they know how to form the letters.

My approach is we don't do add'l copywork when we are learning to print or to write in cursive. THAT is our copywork.

So in 2nd, we didn't do copywork for part of the year so dd could do cursive. She is now back to doing copywork which is all you mentioned, PLUS a continuation of learning cursive. If possible, I give her a cursive model-- but not always.

DS in K-- his copywork is writing his letters (new american cursive) and short words from his phonics lessons (if he has learned the letters already). After this, since he'll already have done cursive, each year we'll just do copywork for all the language arts and handwriting.

I use copywork as handwriting as well as grammar training. My boys especially will lose patience if I give them both. I think a little goes a long way.

:iagree: A little, written well (both grammatically correct and legible-- as in best handwriting), really does go a long way!

We started doing copywork once dd could form her letters properly. We no longer use a handwriting program. Like others who responded, we use it for handwriting practice, grammar, punctuation, good sentence formation, etc. She does one or two sentences per day, either from her WWE workbook or I'll have her copy a short science or history narration. At least twice a week I will watch her carefully as she does the copywork so I can watch her form her letters and correct as necessary, the other times she does it independently.

Hope that helps!!

My DS absolutely hates writing and isn't very good at it, so I'm using copywork in conjunction with handwriting right now as I know the grammar, spelling, and punctuation side of things will come a lot more naturally to him than the actual formation of letters. In fact, he's very good at all of those EXCEPT handwriting. So I'm creating sentences to practice writing his letters.