Menu

Difference between diagramming a sentence and parsing one?

pooh bear

What is the difference between diagramming a sentence and parsing one?

I'm looking at maybe using Harvey's Elementary Grammar this school year and looking through I see that it uses paring not diagramming.

Is one way better than the other?

Oh, and how many years is Harvey's Elementary Grammar cover?

Well, I agree with your definition, but I don't think people normally classify diagramming as parsing. I do see your point though. With Harvey's, I think they just want you to orally tell about each word. For example in the sentence -- Cara is my favorite teacher. Cara is the subject noun, it is proper. "Is" is a linking verb in present tense, my is an adjective modifying teacher, ...

You can get even more particular in telling the person and some other stuff I can't remember.

There are different programs that tell you to parse and they have their own idea of what that means exactly, but I think Harvey's is the old fashioned oral telling.

Parsing is listing each word in the sentence and determining its definition, role, classification, and properties.

Diagramming is visually lining up how all the words work together in the sentence.

Harvey's, I believe is spread out over 4 years in CW: Homer A&B, and Digenes, Maxim & Chreia. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :-)