Menu

?? about TWSS & SWIC.....

Hello ladies,

For those that have used this program, do I absolutely need to purchase the DVD's in order to successfully teach this course? With a teaching background and comfortable with teaching writing, I'm wondering if I need to put out the money for the complete set? Thanks for your input. Julia

TWSS teaches the program, philosophy and background to the teacher so that you can understand and implement it. I put off buying IEW for years because it was so expensive to get both TWSS and SWIC. Finally, I purchased only TWSS and used that for a year (my dc were older and watched it along with me.) SWIC (which I haven't used, so no idea how it would work to do that alone) I believe provides lessons directly to the student--helpful for the parent who isn't comfortable teaching it directly. With your teaching background, you could probably get just the TWSS and run with that. Besides the DVDs it comes with a binder of the handouts.

HTH :)

Do you know of someone locally who could lend or rent you TWSS? That's what I would do if I were you. Then all you would have to buy would be this:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/index.php?q=SW

Another option would be to buy the Webster book. It's not as entertaining as Andrew Pudewa, but it is the book on which the whole TWSS curriculum is based. I have it and have read it twice. It's excellent, but a bit tedious.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/index.php?q=BSS

Ask IEW for free shipping if you are a new customer - they often oblige this request.

HTH,

GardenMom

The SWIC sample says "Although you can successfully use the SWI without the teacher’s

course, watching Teaching Writing: Structure and Style before watching the student lesson will provide you with

many of the reasons behind the instruction given as well as other teaching tips to aid your student in writing. If you do not have the teacher’s course, you can still use the SWI successfully"