Menu

Any reviews of Hewitt Homeschooling's Ancient History syllabus?....

Any reviews of Streams of Civ &/or Hewitt's Honors Ancient History syllabus?...

The other night I stumbled to the old board, where someone had recommended Hewitt Homeschooling's Ancient History syllabus.

It looks like exactly what I'm trying to plan - a "basic text" with "added library sources, more extensive reading, research, and writing" and "primary-source materials." But, their "basic text" is Streams of Civilization. So far, I haven't found a single positive review of "Streams" on the board! Could that be the reason no one here recommends the syllabus, when it sounds so much like what so many of us try to put together on our own? (It's only $7.00!!!)

Has anyone followed this syllabus? Did you like it? Love it? Did you hate "Streams"?

Could you modify the syllabus to work with another text, or is it very dependent on "Streams"?

Thanks!

(yes, I wish I could post this anonymously! history is just going to kill me this year!!!)

Edited by Rhondabee

Has anyone followed this syllabus? Did you like it? Love it? Did you hate "Streams"?

Could you modify the syllabus to work with another text, or is it very dependent on "Streams"?

Thanks!

We are using this guide along with Streams this year. I find that Streams is "just right" because it wets my daughter's appetite to find out more. It allows her to choice if she wants to (or does not want to) read more about a particular person, event, etc.

The additional activities are just right for her too. The movies, writing assignments, research/projects, etc. all help her to grow in the areas she needs to (writing & critical thinking) without adding too much to her schedule.

I also count the writing assignments toward her English II grade. I just have her print 2 copies and then grade the second using the IEW rubric we used last year.

I am also using Western Civilizations by Spielvogel for myself so that we can discuss what she is learning.

If I remember correctly, Hewitt used to use BJU World History text as the spine. They maybe able to tell you how to substitute that text instead.

We do adjust their weekly schedule to meet our needs since we are not enrolled in the Hewitt Homeschooling program; just using the syllabus.

We are using this guide along with Streams this year. I find that Streams is "just right" because it wets my daughter's appetite to find out more. It allows her to choice if she wants to (or does not want to) read more about a particular person, event, etc.

The additional activities are just right for her too. The movies, writing assignments, research/projects, etc. all help her to grow in the areas she needs to (writing & critical thinking) without adding too much to her schedule.

So, there is a list of "additional activities" that you choose from, rather than a definite "do this assignment now" kind of structure? (I'm thinking maybe like the WTM Logic Stage - read and then investigate what's interesting - but with someone giving you ideas of what or how to research?) Does that sound right?

I also count the writing assignments toward her English II grade. I just have her print 2 copies and then grade the second using the IEW rubric we used last year.

I was just reading an old post of yours that gave your IEW routine, and saved it to favorites! :001_smile:

I am also using Western Civilizations by Spielvogel for myself so that we can discuss what she is learning.

If I remember correctly, Hewitt used to use BJU World History text as the spine. They maybe able to tell you how to substitute that text instead.

We do adjust their weekly schedule to meet our needs since we are not enrolled in the Hewitt Homeschooling program; just using the syllabus.

Thanks, Beth!

So, there is a list of "additional activities" that you choose from, rather than a definite "do this assignment now" kind of structure?

Besides the daily reading assignments from Streams the syllabus also has the students reading additional books on various topics and writing short reports each week or so.

Included in the syllabus are 3 pages (?) of project ideas for the students to choose from each quarter. They are require some type of research in order to complete them. They student is told to choose from the list a different one each quarter to submit. I believe they choose 1 (or more) each quarter.

They are also required to keep a timeline each quarter of 10 (?) things they found interesting and explain why they choose those events/people. They are to make the timeline as creative as possible.

They also have to write book reports and are given a book list to choose from (historical fiction, non-fiction, primary resources, and secondary resources). There is a section that explains what the reports need to contain for each type of book read. I am having my dd using skills from IEW Units 4 (Single source reports), 8 (Essays), and 9 (Critiques) to create these reports.

Edited by Beth in TN
add more