Menu

Easing a 1st grader into Narration and journaling

greenmamato3

this summer, while we were doing our scaled-back-to-basics schoolday schedule, i introduced the concept of journaling to DS 6 by having him read his own Bible story during the morning then spending time drawing a picture and writing one sentence about the story in his *new* journal.

he LOVES this .... but what i see in him is that he's reading the story and then basically copying (to the best of his ability) the picture that the illustrator has, and then he's writing a sentence that isn't identical to the title of the story but is basically the title rephrased. i'm not questioning whether he's reading it. he definitely is. i just don't know how much of it he's really retaining b/c when i ask him to tell me his favorite thing from the story, he has to refer back to the page. he's a visual learner (like i am) so i understand needing to have our eye-memory jogged in order to recall .....

we're getting READY to start FLL1 and WWE so he's had no formal exposure .... and really the only other journaling he's done is some impromptu nature journaling, during which time he has drawn a picture and dictated to me 3 (or 5) observations he makes. does this sound like a typical place for a 6 yr old to be, or do you think he's developing a dependency on the text that is going to limit his ability to narrate successfully if i don't put a stop to the "copying" he's doing at this point? i don't want to be creating problems for him later down the road by allowing him to refer back to the book while he's doing his narration, but i also don't want it to feel stressful to him right now in these early stages while he's growing accustomed to what narration and journaling/notebooking are all about ....

how can i gradually wean him off the book? or should i just assume that FLL and WWE will do this "for" me.

thanks for your advice and insight.

FLL and, especially, WWE will definitely help him with his narration. SWB's method of narration is very gentle and assists children on their way to retell back...with prompting questions, if need be.....very well done. Generally a child at his skill level/age, reads/hears only one paragraph (according to SWB) and then the child retells the story in his own words...eventually by 2nd grade he will be able to narrate back 6 paragraphs or so. It sounds like your son is doing great, I think you will find he thrives with FLL and WWE!

Actually, SWB encourages parents to let kids look back at the text of SOTW when narrating. And yes, the questions in the activity guide definitely help the child remember--I like to mix it up by asking the questions sometimes and then having dd narrate, or by asking her what her favorite part of the story was.

OP, your son sounds right on target.