Menu

Middle Ages History Portfolio - Q's

SS in MD

Has anyone used Homeschool Journey's Middle Ages History Portfolio (MAHP) (classic)? If so, how did you like it? Is it worth the money (especially when you have to buy for multiple kids) How did you use MAHP along with a spine book or curriculum? (SOTW 2 or something like TOG or TQ). (Does MAHP map nicely to your curriculum? If your history curriculum doesn't cover a topic in MAHP, do you do it or leave MAHP blank?) Do you think HP would be too easy for a 6th & 8th grader?

Any advice would be great!!

• 2 weeks later...

We have only used the Ancient portfolio and plan to use the Middle Ages one this year for 4th and 8th grade. I expect much more writing from my older daughter. The portfolios work well for them because it gives them an opportunity to be creative with drawing, adding copied pictures, etc. I don't always use the maps provided and will cover them with our own when needed. I use SOTW with my younger dd and my older daughter uses BF, Streams of Civilization and I am adding Biblioplan for both of them this year. I pick and choose what we need and figure out ahead of time what the will put in the portfolio. They both enjoy looking back on their work. You could easily make your own notebook, but I like having the premade portfolio to use as a guide.

• 1 month later...

We attempted Ancients. *I* really liked them and would have loved to do them as a girl in school. However, my boys were less than thrilled and we ended up dropping them pretty quickly. They ended up just doing notebook pages that I had purchased from notebookingpages.com . A compromise of sorts.

Also, be prepared to line up the studies as they don't necessarily flow with any certain spine. (That wasn't frustration for me, but I know it may be for some.) So, either the portfolio or the text source(s) has to take the lead.

My 2 cents,

I used the History portfolios years ago, when my girls were in something like 2nd and 4th or 1st and 3rd grades. I posted the pics on my blog about three years ago. Here's the link in case you're interested in seeing them:

http://www.shadow-earth.com/?p=21

At the time, there were no accompanying teacher materials and the only purchasing option was the spiral binding, so we pretty much made it up as we went along.

I'm using the Middle Ages portfolio with my son this year. I bought both the Junior and the Classic, thinking that my 6th grader would use the Classic. She ended up using something else for history, so I let my son choose which version he wanted. He opted to use the Classic.

Basically, I just look at the topics we're going to cover over the next week, pull out some resources on it and then we're good to go. I'm using the History Portfolio to guide our studies right now. I suppose that might change if it doesn't go the way I want though. The Junior teacher's guide provides the chapters in SOTW that go along with the pages, but there are no reading suggestions in the teacher manual for the Classic. I looked online but didn't find any user created schedules either. That's the only thing I really wish I could find. So I just jot down the books and page numbers I use, in case I go back through it again with another child some day. I have a ton of history resources in my home after 8+ years of homeschooling, so it hasn't been hard to find things.

I think it could be used for a middle schooler. In the teacher guide, there are suggestions on "reports" to write for some of the blank spaces. It would have been plenty for my 6th grader, but not for my oldest when she was in middle school. She probably would have craved more. So it depends on your kids I think.

• 4 months later...

I can't decide if I should buy the Middle Ages one or not...I am using MOH, and this would be a go-along, but I am moving quickly through MOH 2, and not sure if this would be a good fit...is anyone willing to PM me with the topics covered? I see the major divisions and maps on her site, but would love to know more so I can see if it will correspond well, or just drive me nuts trying to complete it! THANKS!!!!