Menu

Diversity of play activities...wwyd??

My girls adore coloring, to the exclusion of almost everything else. Knowing this is a phase, would you just let them continue on their merry ways, coloring for hours at a time? Or would you set time limits?

They play outside when they can -- it's often too hot to be outside here -- so I'm not worried about physical activity.

Before coloring it was playing with dress-ups. Before that it was dollies. Before that it was a particular card game.

Should I just accept the fact that they like a "feast or famine" style of play and stop worrying?

Thanks!

I think I would just let them do what they enjoy. I limit activities that require my immediate oversight (like swimming) or that I consider to have some destructive potential--like watching hours upon hours of TV or eating nothing but junk food. But coloring, or dress-ups, or whatever seem harmless enough to let them play as long as they like. Having said that, I would probably come into the room every so often and suggest other things for them to do ("Hey do you guys want to go play outside now?"). But I'd let them continue coloring if that's what they really want.

I think I would just let them do what they enjoy. I limit activities that require my immediate oversight (like swimming) or that I consider to have some destructive potential--like watching hours upon hours of TV or eating nothing but junk food. But coloring, or dress-ups, or whatever seem harmless enough to let them play as long as they like. Having said that, I would probably come into the room every so often and suggest other things for them to do ("Hey do you guys want to go play outside now?"). But I'd let them continue coloring if that's what they really want.

:iagree:mine just combine everything they like together. Right now that is ducktales and Harry Potter (that means that Huey, Dewey and Louie go to Hogwarts)