Menu

NCFCAers....CA has left the league

Hi to my fellow speech and debate parents!

Those of us in CA were informed last night by our regional director that California leadership has made the decision to take a one year sabbatical (at this point) from NCFCA.

The reason cited is a difference in governance philosophy. The national organization wants to keep the governance central and the CA leadership wants to develop a depth of local leaders. They say they are still trying to work it out with NCFCA and could possibly rejoin the league next year.

Had anyone else heard about this? What do you think? I'm still waiting to hear whether or not CA will continue on with the same resolution this year. I wonder if CA will keep OI and Expos which the league recently suspended.

At any rate, I have one kid who is very disappointed and one who is all for "states' rights." :)

Just a bump to see if any other NCFCAers have any thoughts.:)

Cedarmom, CA is setting up their own organization (Stoa) and it has been said that competitors from other states would be welcome to affiliate.

Had anyone else heard about this? What do you think? I'm still waiting to hear whether or not CA will continue on with the same resolution this year. I wonder if CA will keep OI and Expos which the league recently suspended.

At any rate, I have one kid who is very disappointed and one who is all for "states' rights." :)

Yes, this is true. It has been a long time in coming, although some people may have been surprised depending on their level of involvement and experience. The leadership, both Regional Coordinators and club advisers, have been discussing issues with national leadership for years, and have not been able to resolve them. I just want you to know that the regional coordinator did not wake up one morning frustrated and make this decision on a whim. Years of prayer and discussion have taken place at different levels to come to this decision. IMHO, it is a sad step, but one that needed to be taken, and participants in CA will benefit. I don't want to get into specifics on the problems that have occurred, but am looking forward to seeing what transpires. I know that the Region 2 leaders and club advisers saw this as truly a last resort step, one they wanted to avoid, and would very much like to resolve differences.

There shouldn't be much difference in what the participants experience. The same clubs will exist with the same leadership, and the same people running tournaments, just as in past years. If anything, there may be more opportunities for the debaters and speakers to compete.

The resolutions are the same as for NCFCA. This is respectful towards the students who started researching in June, as well as allows any teams who want to register with NCFCA to do so and compete in NCFCA national open tournaments.

I haven't heard a decision on OI and Expos yet.