Menu

Life of Fred (cross post)

I am looking for opinions on LOF Algebra.

Has anyone use this as a full math program?

My daughter is entering 9th grade and is finishing Chalkdust PreAlgebra.

She has difficulty with math and really, really dislikes it. I don't know which came first - the difficulty or the dislike????

She loves reading, writing, history, spanish, and any fine art.

She easily memorizes music, dances, spanish, even Shakespeare, but she still forgets math!!!

Opinions / suggestions greatly appreciated!

LOF is really a curriculum for strong readers. You said your dd loves reading, so it might work well for her. The books are inexpensive, as math texts go, so you might buy one just to experience it directly. It's hard to give the flavor of it online :)

As for the "complete curriculum" question -- absolutely yes. The one thing a lot of families do is supplement with extra problem sets. You can find those in the Home Companion books or with other curricula/worksheet programs.

Karen

We're going to use it as a full Beginning Algebra program for my younger dd. The story is engaging and I think it is a good fit for someone who likes to read but doesn't like math. My dd is quite mathy, but doesn't like doing math unless it's geometry, so this is going to make things a lot more enjoyable, show her how Algebra applies in real life and still get the job done.

If you read posts about me planning to do a second Algebra later, this is not because it's not a complete program, it's because she's young and I think will need to do it again later when she's more intellectually mature.

We like LOF but as a supplement to our main math curriculum. One of the reasons I personally wouldn't use it as a main curriculum is because there is not a lot of review. I like a spiral math. But the big draw of Fred for us is that the story is funny and the kids get some of their math from a different approach which is always nice.