Menu

Color filters

It has been suggested to me by several people that I get dd some sort of color filter, in red or blue, to put over her reading pages. I've been loking for a while now for something to use, and haven't had any luck finding anything.

I was looking for something along the lines of dividers that are clear but red and blue. My MIL went to Office Depot- which is the biggest office supply store we have around here and they said they had never heard of such a thing. We haven't had any luck at WM or any other stores.

Where could I get something to use as color filters?

thanks

It's funny that you bring this up because this was just suggested to me by my girlfriend who is a public school teacher. My daughter is showing signs of dyslexia and I'm trying different things with her.

I'm going to buy several colors of folders that I've seen at either WalMart or Target. They are clear but colored and have a pocket on each side. Back in the day we used to call them peechees. They are cheap during back to school time which is coming up. The pockets can be cut off and they'll be a perfect page or double page size.

Did they specify which color for you to use? My girlfriend thought I needed to try different colors to see if one works.

Our teacher supply store carries them. They call them color overlays and they come in a variety of colors and sizes from small bookmark line size to full page. They are not very expensive. For more information on how they work or might work you can look up http://www.carboreading.com/listingsoverlays.asp .That site has more color possibilities than any teacher supply store I have been in. http://irlen.com/index.php?id=3 also gives you the background information you would want to know with the whys and hows color overlays work.

Our teacher supply store carries them. They call them color overlays and they come in a variety of colors and sizes from small bookmark line size to full page. They are not very expensive. For more information on how they work or might work you can look up http://www.carboreading.com/listingsoverlays.asp .That site has more color possibilities than any teacher supply store I have been in. http://irlen.com/index.php?id=3 also gives you the background information you would want to know with the whys and hows color overlays work.

Thanks! I'll check those

Great suggestions! I heard about these about a year ago at an educational workshop and the reading I did on them convinced me that they could be a great tool.

http://www.thereadinghelper.com/

I was given a sample rule. These are smaller so would be moved from one line to the next but are great for helping those eyes stay on track over using a whole page of color.

HTH!

I have a couple of these, and then a bigger one that has the color at the top, and a nice gray at the bottom. That is the one DD uses daily. I don't think the color is doing anything for her (we have yellow and blue, she doesn't seem to like the blue), but it really helps with her tracking issues!

It has been suggested to me by several people that I get dd some sort of color filter, in red or blue, to put over her reading pages. I've been loking for a while now for something to use, and haven't had any luck finding anything.

I was looking for something along the lines of dividers that are clear but red and blue. My MIL went to Office Depot- which is the biggest office supply store we have around here and they said they had never heard of such a thing. We haven't had any luck at WM or any other stores.

Where could I get something to use as color filters?

thanks

The best filters, IMO, are the Irlen filters. Though I am not sure they sell them to you if you haven't been officially diagnosed by them, because what color you use does matter. I do think her book has some in the back though.

The reason why they are better is because they have a non-glare side as well as a glare side. I have a pack of "filters" from a at home vision therapy program I bought online and they don't do me any good because they glare so bad that they undo any of the good that they do in the first place. My Irlen filters cut the glare and the colors help with my reading issues.

BTW I needed two colors. I use a pink with a blue over the top. Each color separately helps, but the combo is the best. If you can swing doing a formal Irlen evaluation I would recommend it. They will try to sell you on the glasses, which are expensive. Just say no. :D

Heather